This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

LAN redundancy?

Hi,

I understand how to do redundancy/fail over/load balancing on multiple WAN interfaces and I have the UTM successfully doing so between an ADSL and a 4G USB interface. However I am also interested in doing the same, for failover reasons, for the LAN interface. I don't see how it would be possible to do so. Ethernet bridge does not seem to be the thing to do. I had the two Ethernet interfaces bridged together but this created a loop. What I would like is to have two internal interfaces, eth0 and eth1, sharing the same IP, same as a bonding interface, so that if one goes down the other takes over and vice versa. Is this possible? My switch supports all the usual protocols (LACP etc) but this is from the UTM's perspective.

Kind regards,

Nick

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I might be miss understanding your goal here but are you referring to high availability?

community.sophos.com/.../115371

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Not exactly HA, HA requires 2 units running Sophos. I have 1 unit with two internal network interfaces. One of the interfaces is not used. The other has the internal IP 192.168.0.1. This is the default gateway for all the machines in the 192.168.0.0/24 network. If something happens to that interface, faulty cable, faulty NIC etc then there is no access to the WAN (Internet in this case). With two network interfaces creating a bond using 192.168.0.1, if one of the two goes down then the other one keeps things going. Does that help? I am looking to do that.

• Ok, I know you can do this on XG but I am not sure on SG-

community.sophos.com/.../123530

Or I should say for the WAN, I am not sure if this is possible for the LAN, that is what HA is for.  What type of unit are you running?  Unless it is really high end you could probably pick up a second for HA for not too much, I just bought a brand new one and got a second for HA and I think it was around a 1000 a piece.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• I am running the UTM 9.6 software with a Home License installed in a Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny M700. The HA is for when a unit goes down, the WAN load balancing is for when WAN goes down (and you switch to a backup) or when you increase performance by aggregating two uplink interfaces. I am looking at LAN/Internal failover on a single unit.

• UTM / SG works great with LACP too.

You can configure this with Interfaces / link aggregation.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• UTM / SG works great with LACP too.

You can configure this with Interfaces / link aggregation.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

Children