This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not receiving email notifications from UTM any ideas?

I receive notifications from all my commercial UTM setups OK because they are using static IP’s.

However my home setup which uses on old SG120 with the home licence refuses to send me emails.

My home ISP uses dynamic IP’s and therefore requires an external SMTP server to avoid the old spamhaus block.

Fine, no problem, I gave it an external SMTP server, a trusty simple 123-reg one but still no emails.

The SMTP log shows the server still trying to send emails itself and hitting the spamhaus default block.

I have tried different email addresses, different ports, TLS, no TLS, restarting the UTM.

I use this 123-reg account as an external SMTP server for several other devices without issue. Any ideas as to what may be going wrong?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • When sending notifications, UTM does not act as a mail system, it as as a mail client.   So you need to configure your UTM Notification settings to log onto an email server where you have an account.   The settings will be the same as configuring Outlook or Thunderbird email clients with an IMAP or POP account.   The fetch part (IMAP or POP) is not used, but the send part (SMTP) is used.    The better ISPs block port 25 for home users, so you probably connect to your mail vendor using port 465 or 587.

• Hello, thanks for the reply. In my situation (with a dynamic IP) I undoubtable need it to act as a client and connect up using the SMTP details I have given it, unfortunately this is where the issue lies.
    It is my understanding from the logs above that the UTM is still acting as an MTA, In the top cut and paste you can see the spamhaus error and even in the bottom exert from the SMTP log I can see things like 'exim' for instance. 

I have completed the Management>Notifications>Advanced
    SMTP server: 123 Host1
    Port: 465
    TLS: yes
    Authentication: yes
    Username: t****@*******.com 
    Password: *********

I have added a network definition DNS Host:
    Name: 123 Host1
    Hostname; smtp.123-reg.co.uk
    Interface: Any

Still no emails.

If I use these same details in Outlook I can send emails.

I can see it trying to send in the SMTP log

• Just to close this topic off, I have given up trying to get the UTM to use my smarthost or any smarthost in fact. Not sure why it isn't working, I've set a great many of these up over the years on all sorts of devices and never had this much trouble with such a simple thing.

I am, however, getting emails from the UTM. This is how...

1, I turned off the smarthost page

2, I had a lightbulb moment
    "since every email account server has a problem with my IP address, I wonder if one run by my ISP whitelists its own dynamic range"

3, Log into my ISP web admin and dust off that free email account they mentioned years ago. Setup a forward to my actual email.

4, Replace notification addresses and send as address with ISP email address.

5, It definitely does whitelist its own addresses. Success!

So there you go, completely obvious when you think about it but somehow I didn't think about it enough.

• Just to close this topic off, I have given up trying to get the UTM to use my smarthost or any smarthost in fact. Not sure why it isn't working, I've set a great many of these up over the years on all sorts of devices and never had this much trouble with such a simple thing.

I am, however, getting emails from the UTM. This is how...

1, I turned off the smarthost page

2, I had a lightbulb moment
    "since every email account server has a problem with my IP address, I wonder if one run by my ISP whitelists its own dynamic range"

3, Log into my ISP web admin and dust off that free email account they mentioned years ago. Setup a forward to my actual email.

4, Replace notification addresses and send as address with ISP email address.

5, It definitely does whitelist its own addresses. Success!

So there you go, completely obvious when you think about it but somehow I didn't think about it enough.

Children
No Data