This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM does not recognize IP change on uplink interface

Hello,

Recently I installed a second WAN uplink using a LTE router. The router is powered with POE and is configured in bridge mode. Basically internet access works including multipath rules and uplink monitoring.

The IPs I get on the LTE link are dynamic and change everytime the connection is lost an reestablished. I configured the Interface at the UTM accordingly. My problem is that the UTM does not recognize if the external IP changes. I have to manually renew the IP (click the button).

In the logs I can see that the UTM gets a IP lease at first connection. If the connection drops the uplink monitoring recognizes that the connection is not working anymore. After the connection is restablished (with a new IP address) the old lease still seems to be used but of couse no communication is possible this way.

Is this a bug or is there a way to configure the UTM to get the new IP address on reconnection?

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • TPok, you didn't say which version you're using.  If using custom Monitoring Hosts doesn't fix this, I would guess that the issue is the LTE connection (modem, ISP, etc.).

Assuming that REF_IntPppsXXXXXX is the REF_ of the Interface, you can do a renew from the command line with:

cc interface_dhcp_renew_lease REF_IntPppsXXXXXX

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The UTM version is 9.509-3. Uplink Monitoring is setup with custom hosts and timeout values like suggested.

As stated above the problem is not about Uplink Monitoring. This works fine and detects if the connection is up or down. The problem is about the change of the ip address on one uplink interface that the UTM does not detect and tries to communicate with the old address.

Triggering the UTM to renew the ip address manually works. No matter if doing this through WebAdmin or the command line. The problem seems to be a missing trigger that tells the UTM to renew the ip address automatically after it changed.

As I don't know how to explain it more detailled the I did before I will open a support case. I think I have to show this to someone during a remote presentation. It seems to be to complex to explain it just with words.

• I think your explanation is very clear TPok, but my guess is that the issue is an incompatibility with the LTE router.  Please let us know what Support has to say.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I think your explanation is very clear TPok, but my guess is that the issue is an incompatibility with the LTE router.  Please let us know what Support has to say.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data