This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Support for PPPoE on Ethernet interface with VLAN tagging

I have recently changed my home internet from ADSL2+ to NBN (National Broadband Network) FTTC (Fiber-to-the-Curb, not Fiber-to-the-Cabinet).

As part of this upgrade, my ISP said that I had to purchase a new router, as this one particular router was the only one available which would support FTTC.

Using this new router, my home network setup would go from:

ADSL Service --> ADSL Router (in Bridged Mode) --> Sophos UTM --> Rest of the Network

to this:

NBN Service --> NBN Connection Device (mandatory) --> New Router --> Sophos UTM --> Rest of the Network

Ideally I don't want to run an entirely new router just to handle authentication to the internet service.

Looking at the requirements, the router supports an ethernet WAN interface with VLAN tagging (this is necessary) and PPPoE authentication. From what I have read, while FTTC uses VDSL, none of the hardware components in the property receiving the service need to be VDSL-capable devices (the VDSL component is off-property).

Looking at the configuration options in Sophos UTM, there appears to be no way for me to have the UTM connect directly in to the NBN Connection Device. From what I can see, UTM cannot handle PPPoE authentication over an Ethernet interface with (or without) VLAN tagging enabled.

Is this correct?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Not sure if I am missing here something, but: PPPoEthernet with or without VLAN tagging should be possible. Chose "DSL (PPPoE)" as the type, and if you require VLAN tagging, check the box that says VDSL. You will find the box for VLAN tagging under the extended menu.

We use the same setup for our FTTH line. It basically doesn't matter if it is labeled as (V)DSL or whatever, as long as it is PPPoE and in our case, no VLAN tagging.

• Can confirm the above solution as 100% working correct on HFC NBN Connections as well.

Go to Interface, select DSL (PPPOE) and TICK VDSL - if you don't tick VDSL you won't get the vLAN Tag option.

Enter your ISP supplied Username and Password
    vLAN Tag is: 2

And you are good to go ;)

Cheers 

• Can confirm the above solution as 100% working correct on HFC NBN Connections as well.

Go to Interface, select DSL (PPPOE) and TICK VDSL - if you don't tick VDSL you won't get the vLAN Tag option.

Enter your ISP supplied Username and Password
    vLAN Tag is: 2

And you are good to go ;)

Cheers 

Children
No Data