This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS Resolution

When creating a new entry (Definitions & Users > Network Definitions) and specifying the Type as Host and Under DNS Settings enter a Hostname and check Reverse DNS, no workstation cannot ping the entry using the specified hostname.
I can ping the IP Address, but despite the Primary DNS and Gateway being set to the UTM address I cannot use the hostname.

I am sure that I am missing something really basic here, which hopefully someone can point out.

(UTM v9.509)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Did you configure a FQDN DNS name (like: hostname.domain.tld) or just hostname ?

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• apijnappels said:

Did you configure a FQDN DNS name (like: hostname.domain.tld) or just hostname ?

Adding the FQDN helped, but upon further investigation I believe that I have some other issues with how I have configured the UTM.
    This may be the catalyst for me building a new firewall configuration from scratch, as my existing system now contains lots of unnecessary remnants from previous configurations.
    Who doesn't need a new project...
  • You might be interested in DNS best practice.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children
No Data