This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to throttle outgoing mails sent via smarthost

Hello to the board !

We are sending our outgoing mails via a smarthost, which is configured at "E-MailProtection/SMTP/Advanced/Smarthost Settings"
We rarely do, but sometimes "bulkmail" (about 150 Mails) have to be sent the same time.
This needs a pretty long time.

First I thougt, the reason had to do with performance but looking closer at the issue, I found out, the smarthost rejects mails, in case they come in a huge amount
In the Mail Log I find:
"SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host oursmarthost.de [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]: 421 4.7.0 oursmarthost.de Error: too many connections from IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

To my understanding our smarthost provider has limited the number of mails, that can be sent per time.
Due to error 421 ist refuses to proceed the email for a while.
In result it takes very long, to sent a larger number of mails.

Do I have the option to throttle the number of outgoing connections to the smarthost ?
I hope, this might speed up the delivery, as the smarthost won't get sore by getting bothered with too many emails at a time.

Best Regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • If you use the UTM to relay outgoing mails, under email protection, smtp , advanced..... at the bottom there are no of connections etc that may be of help?

• Hi Louis,

how could I look over this ?
    Thank you for pointing me to these settings.
    I have lowered the connection count.
    I can't test immediately, cause me company doen't send that number of mails very often.
    So I will have to wait a bit of time, to see if these changes have an effect.

Best Regards
  • I think it's just going to be trial and error with this this. If you have an idea of how many connections the smart host limits to etc, I'd start with that and see if that works.

Bear in mind that these setting will affect traffic both ways so if your UTM recieves burst of traffic from say a mailshot or something similar, it may affect those ie the UTM may refuse too many connections.

• I think it's just going to be trial and error with this this. If you have an idea of how many connections the smart host limits to etc, I'd start with that and see if that works.

Bear in mind that these setting will affect traffic both ways so if your UTM recieves burst of traffic from say a mailshot or something similar, it may affect those ie the UTM may refuse too many connections.

Children
No Data