This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mailer-Daemon@<smtphostname> = wrong Domain - massive bounce problem

Hi everyone!

I recently setup sophos as our mail smarthost for our Exchange Server and it is really performing well!

Unfortunately today I had to find out something terrific that still gives me headaches:

I noticed a remarkable increase in one users mailbox size over the last 5 days and went deep in to check on that. The problem was that through two days he received approx 34.560 bounce mails that bounced between our Exchange and Sophos.

That specific users has an out of office notification setup. Once he receives a mail from a "no-reply" address that CANNOT receive mails (error: recipient not found) exchange sends the notification to that address.

Sophos replies with "mailer-daemon@<hostname>" (hostname = mail protection > SMTP > advanced > SMTP hostname) - this is in our case mail.company.com.

Sophos tells the internal recipient that the external recipient (no-reply) cannot be reached. This NDR generates again an out of office notification that should be sent to "mailer-daemon@mail.company.com" which of course is not routable by sophos.

So utm generates again an NDR and so on and so on...

For a quick workaround to stop that chain for now I added the domain "mail.company.com" to sophos accepted domains so that NDRs would return to our Exchange who after 4 bounces stops the delivery as a local loop was detected. But this cannot be the only solution...

I hope that someone knows a solution for that really annoying issue!

I would prefer to change the mailer-daemon@<hostname> address to postmaster@company.com or something where we actually can receive the mail even if it is a blackhole that is not generating any NDR.

Thank you guys for any help!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • how about assigning mailer-daemon@mail.company.com as second address to postmasters mailbox?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi!

You're absolutely right such an easy solution - although it's a workaround again ;)

I did the following:

Switched the utm to advanced email protection, created a new profile for the domain: mail.company.com and set routing to a Linux server in dmz.

There is a postfix running where I declared that domain to be sent to /dev/null (black hole ;) ).

Anyhow I would like to control the mailer-daemon sender address - I will take a look on the feature requests.

Thank you!

• Finally I adapted your solution to use only existing infrastructure (whitout my linux server):

Exchange:

- added the mail.compy.com domain as accepted domain in exchange.

- created a new empty distribution list. Unchecked "require authentication", gave it the email of mailer-daemon@mail.company.com

thats an exchange blackhole without any other servers ;)

Thank you for your help!