This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Allow External Relay

Hi,

I have 2 unrelated sites both running an Exchange behind 9.4 SMTP protection (not transparent) but I am having ISP issues at one site and would like to proxy in mail via the other.

So site1 gets dom1 mail and site2 gets dom2 mail, both with mx records in their respective external dns hosting. I would like to change the mx record for dom2 so it goes to site1, then want site1 to proxy this mail destined for dom2 to site2. Meanwhile site1 with still deal with dom1 mail as normal.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to go about this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Instead of changing the current MX-record for site 2, I would just add a lower-priority (higher number) MX-record that points at site 1.  I have several clients set up so that their two different sites back each other up.  You'd also need to make the corresponding changes to have site 2 backup site 1.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Instead of changing the current MX-record for site 2, I would just add a lower-priority (higher number) MX-record that points at site 1.  I have several clients set up so that their two different sites back each other up.  You'd also need to make the corresponding changes to have site 2 backup site 1.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Hi Bob,

The problem I was actually looking to get around was my ISP inexplicably blocking port 25, despite it being a business line. So I used mx to redirect to the other site just send it on with port 26, then convert it back to 25 at the final site (using NAT rule "Internet Network (26) > Internet Address (25)" surprisingly worked for me in terms of receiving on 26 and still getting it through the UTM SMTP proxy).

Anyway, all good now while I argue with the ISP about a proper resolution.

Thanks