This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need help on SMTP over Port 465

Hi,

Configuration:
EMail-Hosting @ ISP, POPcon to get Mails over UTM220 to internal Exchange2013. this way, everything is fine.

With the former ISP we used the UTM smarthost-settings (with authentification) to send the emails to the ISP's smarthost. that was ok.

Now we changed the ISP, this one doesn't have a smart-host-service.
I can use their smtp-server to send email but only over port 465.

So please, where do i have to change things in the UTM-settings, i have bounced emails, 551, 553,  554 errors and realy heavy head  [:(]
Seems, that the recipients mailserver have problem with our spf (i already changed that to our external-ip).

How do I get the SMTP-send-traffic out to a specific adress/port?

Any hints for that? Do you need more input ?

tnx a lot, 
Clyde

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Email protection -> SMTP -> Advanced -> Smarthost Settings ?
  • Hi vilic,

Thank you for the hint with the smarthost. I used that before when the old ISP offered that service. Can i also use this entry by just put the "normal" mail (smtp) server name of the ISP in? Seems it didnt work this afternoon. But then again, maybe the new MX-records and spf-txt were not synchronised over all recipients... I try again in a few hours and post the results.

Thanks a lot
    Clyde

• Clyde, is the issue that your new ISP won't let you send mail using port 25?  It seems strange that the ISP would block that for a business line, especially if they don't offer a smarthost service.

In the USA, there are many mail relaying services that aren't very expensive.  It seems that your new ISP gives you no choice.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Our ISPs mailserver just accepts smtp-messages over port 465.
    For the moment, i just disabled the smarthosts-settings in the UTM220
    and skipped transparent-mode for the exchange-network-

This way, about 95% of emails are going out to the customers/recipients.
    The other 5% are bounced by other mail-servers telling us, that our IP cant be resolved (RDNS-PTR missing). Working on that point with the ISP

When i put the ISPs mailserver in the smarthost-window with this port 465, even with autentication it doesn't work but having ONE sending path to the internet/ISP would be appreciated.

Question about configuration of the UTM SMTP:
    our Exchange 2013 uses the smarthost with the internal adress of our UTM220.
    What is the correct configuration, when i want to send out emails over a specific port? Transparent-Mode enabled AND smarthost enabled?
    How do the mails go out (with what HELO/IP?). Do we have to set the RDNS-PTR to the external IP-address of our UTM220 or the ISPs-Mailserver?

i try and try, and get more and more confused... It was so easy before with the smarthost... [:$]

thank you and a "meow" from Switzerland!

• Question about configuration of the UTM SMTP:
    our Exchange 2013 uses the smarthost with the internal adress of our UTM220.
    What is the correct configuration, when i want to send out emails over a specific port? Transparent-Mode enabled AND smarthost enabled?
    How do the mails go out (with what HELO/IP?). Do we have to set the RDNS-PTR to the external IP-address of our UTM220 or the ISPs-Mailserver?

Don't use Transparent mode in this scenario.
    Mail flow is like this:
    Exchange -> UTM -> ISP -> Internet

RDNS should be set for ISP mailserver in this case. If you want to skip ISP, then configure SMTP hostname (HELO) on UTM correctly and RDNS with that name for UTM public IP.
  • Hi vilic,

Thank you for the explanantion. I just had the ISP on the phone, telling me, that I "just" need to send emails via port 465 with SSL to their mailserver (mail.cyon.ch). 

And there is NO smarthost available. So how do i do that?

Our Firewall just needs to work as a smarthost for the exchange (thats already ok) and relay these messages to the mailserver mail.cyon.ch over SSL 465. [:S]

Here are my SMTP-Settings (just in case i missed something)

Global: Profile Mode
    Routing:  Domains=mycompany.ch, HostList=myExchange2013, with callout
    AntiSpam: Advanced-Features=all selected
    Relaying: Host-based-Relay=my Exchange2013, scan relayed (outgoing) messages
    SMTP Advanced: nothing set, just advanced-settings: SMTP-hostmaster=mail.mycompany.ch + postmaster + ...

Do I need a Firewall-Roule or anything else?

(then again: it worked fine before with old ISP with a smarthost, problem was, that this ISP was hacked from time to time... [:$]

Thank you!
    Clyde

• It sounds like all you need is good full FCrDNS.  For example, one of the Google IPs designated as a sending IP for Gmail is 64.233.168.139.  They had their ISP (themselves in this case) create an rDNS record

139.168.233.64.in-addr.arpa IN PTR oj-in-f139.1e100.net

Then, to be sure thy had Forward Confirmed rDNS, they added a record to their public authoritative name server

oj-in-f139.1e100.net IN A 64.233.168.139

In other words

rDNS record -> FQDN -> IP

With the first record, most of the bounces no longer will occur.  The second will make you compliant for all anti-spam filters.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for the explanation of the fcrDNS.
    The thing is: when i'm able to send mails to ISP mailserver over 465-SSL then i do not need any other pointers. ISP mailserver has rDNS and everythin else.

Is this transport-route so strange or unused normaly:
     Exch2013 -> UTM220 -> mail.ISP.ch
     and this over Port 465 with SSL-autentication 
     (User/Pass of one of our mailboxes@ISP)??

What i'm not sure of is: how does the UTM handle an Exchange-sent-Email?
    (Exchange with sendconnector to smarthost "firewall")
    I don't have the transparent-mode set, so do I have to give the UTM a Firewall-Roule with the SMTP:25 to the Internet? Sorry, beeing more and more confused.

tnx
    Clyde

• What i'm not sure of is: how does the UTM handle an Exchange-sent-Email?
    (Exchange with sendconnector to smarthost "firewall")
    I don't have the transparent-mode set, so do I have to give the UTM a Firewall-Roule with the SMTP:25 to the Internet? Sorry, beeing more and more confused.

You don't need firewall rule for Exchange->tcp/25, because mail is not being delivered directly by Exchange. 
    UTM works as an SMTP proxy (Smarthost/Relay server) for Exchange server.
  • Hi vilic,

ok for smtp on port 25

but what if i want to send over port 465? Then i need a firewall-roule (internal LAN -> TCP-IP 465 -> Internet), correct?

tnx
    Clyde