This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why do I want Greylisting? Why does the UTM Greylist everything not rejected?

I am fully aware of what Greylisting is, but I am asking myself why would I want to use it and MOST IMPORTANTLY does the Sophos UTM SMTP Proxy use it by default or is it due to something I failed to setup correctly on the UTM or even another problem like Sender Verification failing and triggering Greylisting as a slow alternate method of sender verification??? While a great idea in principle, it caused at least a 7 minute delay in delivery to valid recipients and is not something I think I should have to live with as a default action.

I can bypass Greylisting by unchecking it in the profile since I am using profiles for more granularity. As an alternative, I can add all valid recipients to an exception rule Skipping: Greylisting FOR these recipient addresses. Can someone suggest a better way?

My question is: Is Greylisting everything a default action for all mail handled by the SMTP proxy or is there something that needs to be configured in the UTM to keep it from happening?

Finally, what is the consequence of disabling it?

Any help appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • On implementation:   

You have identified the control methods.  You can turn it on or off globally or by target domain.  You can also turn it off with an exception.   In this respect, UTM will do whatever you want it to do.

On the complications:

The world's legitimate mail is coming from fewer and fewer sources:  Gmail, Outlook.com, Proofpoint, Mimecast, Cisco, etc.    These organizations are so large that you cannot keep track of the IP addresses that they are using, and it is possible that the IP address will change on every delivery attempt.    Users in this forum complained that they were seeing 24-hour delays from Outlook.com with graylisting enabled.   Other posts have indicated that Sophos maintains an internal exception list for these big organizations, and that they updated their list to correct the Outlook.com problem.   The best solution would be to have exceptions defined using SPF syntax, so you can say "bypass graylisting for anything coming from Outlook.com servers".   (Not because they are immune from bad behavior by their clients, but they are not going to be scared away by graylisting so it is useless as a defense for messages coming from them.)

On my UTM configuration, I have never tried to use it.   On another environment with weak spam filtering, I have turned off graylisting and seen no significant change in spam levels.  So I am a skeptic.

On data analysis:

The SMTP logs are rather difficult to parse into coherent data.   I have just completed a redesign of my log parsing tools while chasing the antispam check failure errors that are mentioned in a new post that I started this morning.  It should be possible to collect data about messages that are not retried when graylisting is off, but it will require significant effort.   Someone can send me a PM if you want my code (which uses a SQL database).

• My tests show that greylisting results in a 5.7% reduction in email volume because of spammers not retrying.

For all of the emails greylisted (about 15% of all emails seen), the ctasd spam test is performed twice.  Using the 'SMTP' tab in Mail Manager, I see that not one of the resent emails was quarantined or rejected - all were delivered to the addressee.

My conclusion is that greylisting "costs" more in terms of CPU cycles, but that it reduces the number of spams in the quarantine.

For me, the reduction is not significant, but I will leave the test running for another few weeks to see if the greylisting rate drops from 15% to something less than 5%.  I'll also use the technique described in List all domains we've sent email - Whitelist to create a greylisting Exception.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Interesting data analysis.  I think we can infer that if a message fails the spam check, the sender is given a PermFail (do not retry) response instead of a graylisting (try later) response.

Once a message is sucessfully retransmitted, what is exempted from graylisting during the next 30 days?

• All messages from the sender-receiver-IP triplet?
    • All messages from the sender-IP pair?
    • All messages from the sender?
    • All messages from the sender domain?

Fro the first two possibilities, I would expect the cache miss rate to be much higher than your experience of 15%.

The local-part (username) of the Envelope From often contains BATV, SRS, or VERP encoding. I would expect this to also increase the graylisting rate due to cache misses.

• "I think we can infer that if a message fails the spam check, the sender is given a PermFail (do not retry) response instead of a graylisting (try later) response."

That seems to be the case, but it probably depends on the selections for 'Reject at SMTP time' and 'Confirmed spam action'.  It's curious that the anti-spam & anti-malware scans are repeated when greylisted emails are resent and successfully considered even when bot anti-spam actions are set to 'Blackhole' and 'Reject at SMTP time' is set to "Spam."  I see that in a client's SMTP log where they've used greylisting for years.

Statistics from the this client that sends and receives many hundreds of emails per day: 1.3% of SMTP connection from lines led to greylisting and only 43.7% of those were resent.  There's such a small percentage greylisted because many were rejected at SMTP time (77.7% of SMTP connections) before they could have been temporarily rejected (greylisted).  96.6% of rejections are from RBL, RDNS and address verification.  Only 3.3% of rejections are from anti-spam, so the greylisting percentage would probably be about the same if 'Reject at SMTP time' were set to "Confirmed Spam" and anti-spam actions were set to "Quarantine."

It seems safe to suggest that once greylisting has been used for awhile, less than 2% of SMTP connections would be temporarily rejected.  The 15% I saw in my post above covered only the first 4 days after enabling greylisting.

The IP,Sender,Recipient triplet is cached.  The From field comes after DATA in the SMTP conversation.  Sender in the foregoing triplet is the content of the MAIL FROM: line sent prior to RCPT TO:.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • "I think we can infer that if a message fails the spam check, the sender is given a PermFail (do not retry) response instead of a graylisting (try later) response."

That seems to be the case, but it probably depends on the selections for 'Reject at SMTP time' and 'Confirmed spam action'.  It's curious that the anti-spam & anti-malware scans are repeated when greylisted emails are resent and successfully considered even when bot anti-spam actions are set to 'Blackhole' and 'Reject at SMTP time' is set to "Spam."  I see that in a client's SMTP log where they've used greylisting for years.

Statistics from the this client that sends and receives many hundreds of emails per day: 1.3% of SMTP connection from lines led to greylisting and only 43.7% of those were resent.  There's such a small percentage greylisted because many were rejected at SMTP time (77.7% of SMTP connections) before they could have been temporarily rejected (greylisted).  96.6% of rejections are from RBL, RDNS and address verification.  Only 3.3% of rejections are from anti-spam, so the greylisting percentage would probably be about the same if 'Reject at SMTP time' were set to "Confirmed Spam" and anti-spam actions were set to "Quarantine."

It seems safe to suggest that once greylisting has been used for awhile, less than 2% of SMTP connections would be temporarily rejected.  The 15% I saw in my post above covered only the first 4 days after enabling greylisting.

The IP,Sender,Recipient triplet is cached.  The From field comes after DATA in the SMTP conversation.  Sender in the foregoing triplet is the content of the MAIL FROM: line sent prior to RCPT TO:.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data