This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mail rejected "550 Administrative prohibition"

A customer is unable to send us mail, but they could before. The Sophos UTM SMTP log shows nothing when I click on the line. Ie the Delivery Log is empty.

The reason in the list is just "Rejected: Spam (confirmed)" which isn't that helpful.

The undeliverable message the sender received said:

"astaro1.bordo.com.au rejected your message to the following e-mail addresses:

'Anna' (annax@bordo.com.au)  

astaro1.bordo.com.au gave this error:
Administrative prohibition 

A problem occurred during the delivery of this message to this e-mail address. Try sending this message again. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: MMSBS.minemech.local

annax@bordo.com.au
astaro1.bordo.com.au #550 Administrative prohibition ##

Checking to see if they are on any RBLs using Multi-RBL Check Results | The Anti-Abuse Project

gives the all-clear.

The original message headers say:

Received: from MMSBS.minemech.local ([fe80::2c93:2b2b:3019:e3c4]) by
MMSBS.minemech.local ([fe80::2c93:2b2b:3019:e3c4%10]) with mapi id
14.01.0438.000; Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:18:30 +1000

I presume the problem is the SMTP host name?

(If so, why doesn't it say so!)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello James,
    we have a customer that get a 550 Administrative Prohibition error for every message sent to networks protected by Sophos UTM appliances. Since the server that is sending the email is an Exchange I have a similar header in the email. However I think that this is not the root cause of the problem because I tried to filter that header but our customer however is getting the 550 Administrative Prohibition message.
    I double checked all the configuration regarding the sender email server: matching DNS and RDNS records, HELO presentation, SPF records, DKIM configuration. All seems to be correct. The IP address sending email isn't listed on any blacklist. If our customer uses another sender domain using the same server the email is queued correctly.
    I suppose that the specific domain is listed in some Sophos maintained blacklist. I opened a ticket with Sophos today, I'm waiting.

Did you find a solution for this problem?

Thanks in Advance,
    Davide
  • Hi Davide,

no, didn't find a solution.

'Spam (confirmed)' isn't really very descriptive, which makes the whole thing almost impossible to diagnose.

Please reply here if you do find a solution.

James.
  • Hi James,
    it's a strange problem, some recipient for which now I receive the error were working correctly 10 days ago.
    That customer is a government istitution, the email volume is quite high and today I registered that 10 domains returned the bounce with the permanent 550 Administrative Prohibition error. I contacted some of them and they confirmed that are using Sophos UTM Appliances as AntiSpam Filter. I asked to whitelist the sender domain to two of them and obviously now the email is queued correctly.
    The Sophos Support made some check on our customer domain configuration and confirmed that all is correctly configured. 
    I made some reputation check using services like mail-tester.com and I get 10/10. I made also a domain check using www.dnsinspect.com and I get 100 in all test.
    There is no way to solve this problem. I hope that some moderator here can help us to solve this strange problem.
    I'm available to make test if needed to understand.

I'll update this thread as soon as I have news!

Thanks a lot for you lighting fast response,
    Davide
  • That it shows as confirmed spam indicates that the Cyren (formerly Commtouch) service is involved.  This is what UTM uses for reputation checks of emails.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I have the challenge described above. Mails are blocked as 'spam confirmed' from exactly the same senders that are then 15 minutes later accepted as kosher. What is going on?
  • We have the same problem.. since yesterday, we can’t send emails longer than some kb to mail servers behind a Sophos UTM, they are denied on SMPT level with 550 adminstrative prohibition.
    On our side, we use Exchange Server 2013 and a Foritmial 400D as SMTP Gateway.
    We are not on the sophos blacklist, nor on any other open blacklist known to me. 

The rejected mails are normal business mails, not advertising.
    Short mails without attachment go through.
  • It's Cyren again. They blacklisted a customer of us several weeks ago. We couldn't get the answer out of cyren why they did... They just say, they generally do not inform about why somebody is blacklisted... If I'm right, with disabling the tick at "Use recommended RBLs" cyren's reputation service is getting disabled, this could solve the Problem as well, not?

Please send me Spam gueselkuebel@sg-utm.also-solutions.ch

• in my case it's not Cryen, our status there is
    Risk Level:  Unknown
    Description:  The IP has only recently started sending mails, and therefore still has an Unknown reputation

(nonsense btw, our mail server was on that address for over 10 years now)
  • in my case it's not Cryen, our status there is
    (nonsense btw, our mail server was on that address for over 10 years now)

You probably checked against the Cyren IP Reputation Database. That one has nothing to do with the Email Reputation Database, which checks Emails for spam and not the IP Address they are comming form.

Remember: your Mails are checked and classified as Spam(Confirmed) before they are leaving the Sophos UTM. This step happens before they enter the Internet, so the IP Reputation Database should not have any influence on this behaviour.

Please send me Spam gueselkuebel@sg-utm.also-solutions.ch

• You probably checked against the Cyren IP Reputation Database.

Yes you are right there

I didn't find anything about the email Reputation Database on their website

We are not using Sophos products here, my problem is that suddenly every Sophos UTM seems to reject mails from us and none of the admins involved knows why