This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Newbie Setting up External Emails

Hi,

I am new to the Astaro Gateway and i am using it for a small business. I have set it up to allow internet access across the network of 12 computers.

I now wish to allow external email access to all users. Currently running exchange 2003 configured only for internal email. We have purchased a domain name and would like to receive external and internal email to our outlook clients. I have the Mail security option enabled within astaro V8. I have followed MOST of the sticky thread within this forum and have configured the astaro to allow email access.

This now allows me to telnet to my domain name through port 25, which was previously failing.

I have some questions please.

My server has never been used to send or receive external email. Do i still need to configure exchange 2003 for external email or will the Astaro deal with it for me?

Also when i need to amend my MX record within my domain CP, what is my Astaros FQDN? Am i right in thinking if i run a ping -a command on the ip address of the astaro it will resolve the FQDN name?

Many thanks for your help.

Clive.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Clive, and welcome to the User BB!

Google site:astaro.org basic exchange setup

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Many Thanks!That helped me alot. But i have one issue.

I now can send email intrnally and externally from my Outlook client, but cannot recieve external email to Outlook. It is received at the domains email address and i can check it if i sign in to my domain from the internet, but not forwarded to the Outlook clients?

There is no error recieved at the senders mailbox, i have been trying to send from a Hotmail account.

Also when you say the host definition to your exchange server do you mean the internal exchange servers information such as IP etc? As mine is the same as my Servers at 10.x.x.1.

Many Thanks.
  • After doing some research. Am i right in saying I have to setup POP3 for the collection of emails? Any help on the POP3 tab will be great. 

Appreciate it greatly,

Thanks,

Clive.
  • If you have your own domain, and your ISP allows you to use port 25, you can use the SMTP Proxy.

Here's an old thread that covers several issues concerning POP3: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/56/t/48745

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Will there be any reason why I'm not receiving external emails to the outlook clients but I am to the domain. There are no errors received in the senders mailbox. 

If I can send would it assume my ISP allows me to use Port 25?

Many thanks,

Clive.
  • Ive Just realised from doing some research that i have not given my UTM a proper Hostname. can this affect incoming emails?

Thanks.
  • A resolvable hostname is critical for mail routing to work.

Barry
  • This is one of the most-common newbie mistakes - not assigning a hostname that is resolvable in public DNS.

Although you can work around this for the SMTP Proxy by a setting on the 'Advanced' tab, I agree with Barry's implication that you will want to take pictures and notes of your current configuration, and then start over after a factory reset.  Leaving the hostname as-is will cause you other problems that you won't expect in the future, so it's worth it to write off the time spent so far to OJT. [;)]  This shouldn't take you over an hour or so, and it will save you countless hours and headaches in the future.

In situations where the SMTP Proxy is in use, I like to give the UTM the hostname of the company's MX record.  In our case, since the backup mail service has a default of mail.domain.com, we use post.domain.com for our highest-priority MX record - and for the name of our UTM.

If you're getting mail to Exchange or sending it, then you don't have a problem with port 25.

I don't know what you mean about sending external mail to Outlook.  Outlook is just a client, and can't receive mail directly.  Do you mean that people are unable to connect to a POP3 or IMAP server?  Or, are you trying to use a POP3 connector in Exchange (not a great idea if it can be avoided)?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

What I mean is incoming external email is not being seen by the Astaro, therefore users on the network are not receiving it. I can confirm this by checking the live SMTP log.

I think my problem is on the routing tab of the SMTP Proxy. What will the host definition or network name for my exchange server be? I may have input this incorrectly as the ip address for my server. 

Thanks.
  • My fqdn for my Exchange server is sbs01.monarch.local 
    Will this also affect mail routing?