This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG V7 and use of RBLs (Realtime Blackhole Lists)

ASG V7 uses by default some RBls that are not active anymore or are combinded. Please see my personal investigation,

From the ASG help:
Note – Note that the list of RBLs queried by Astaro Security Gateway is subject to change without notice. Astaro does not warrant for the contents of these databases. 

Databases used by default:
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
pbl.spamhaus.org
list.dsbl.org
cbl.abuseat.org

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
The Spamhaus Project - ZEN
zen.spamhaus.org ,ZEN is the combination of all Spamhaus DNSBLs into one single powerful and comprehensive blocklist to make querying faster and simpler. It contains the SBL, the XBL and the PBL blocklist.

pbl.spamhaus.org
See above.

list.dsbl.org
http://dsbl.org/
DSBL is GONE and highly unlikely to return. Please remove it from your mail server configuration.

cbl.abuseat.org
The CBL via CBL country 
Blacklists Compared (24 January 2009) Blacklists Compared, 24-Jan-09

This document was last updated by Jeff Makey  on 29 January 2009. 

Blacklists Compared

Conclusions
The results of this survey are not necessarily helpful for choosing a blacklist for the purpose of blocking spam. Such an evaluation would require good data on which of the thousands of e-mail messages handled by SDSC every week are truly spam and which are not, but if it were easy to automatically tell the difference we would just block the spam and not worry about blacklists. Without that data there can be no objective measure of a blacklist's effectiveness for blocking spam.
This survey also does not attempt to measure the quality of blacklists in terms of erroneous listings (false positives) nor in terms of missing entries (false negatives) with respect to each blacklist's policy. To do so would require maintaining my own lists for comparison with the other blacklists, which would take far more effort than I am willing to expend.

That said, it is my subjective opinion that most of the blacklists surveyed here are at least somewhat useful for blocking spam. There is a tendency for those with the highest number of hits to list many places that send substantial quantities of non-spam, and at the other end of the scale some blacklists (such as those listing specific ISPs) are so narrowly focused that they are good for blocking a relatively small fraction of spam with a correspondingly small probability of false positives. To the best of my knowledge all of the blacklist operators make an honest effort to maintain their listings according to their published policies, but the blacklists that cover less than 1% of the survey space seem to be too ineffective to be worthwhile. Your mileage may vary.

For the record, SDSC uses these blacklists:
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org 
zen.spamhaus.org 
dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net 
bl.spamcop.net 

Feel free to comment.

Regards John

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • list.dsbl.org has  stopped  DNS. If you have ASG Version 
  • Our inhouse Astaro is on V7.306. I just checked the DNS logs and you are correct about the problem.  Maybe Astaro will release a 7.307 update...

Thanks for the heads-up - Bob
    PS But, other than cause an incremental increase in CPU usage and a brief delay in mail delivery, is this a serious problem for anyone?

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Our inhouse Astaro is on V7.306. I just checked the DNS logs and you are correct about the problem.  Maybe Astaro will release a 7.307 update...

Thanks for the heads-up - Bob
    PS But, other than cause an incremental increase in CPU usage and a brief delay in mail delivery, is this a serious problem for anyone?

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data