This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to disable bounce messages

I'm still running V6 (I know... I'm actually upgrading in about 2 weeks).  But want to know how to suppress or simply not send bounce messages back to a sender.  For example, when I send an email to a non existent user at my domain from gmail I get a bounce back on my gmail account telling me it was not delivered etc.  I don't want to send these messages.  Any thoughts / advice / info is greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • It is odd to revive a discussion from 10 years ago, but the question still seems to be unanswered.   

Does anyone know how to disable NDR messages from UTM?

Like the original post, I am aware that NDRs can become backscatter SPAM, or facilitate directory harvesting.   Is it possible that Sophos thinks this is unimportant?

• Has anyone tried disabling recipient verification?   I wonder if it changes how bounces are handled, or if it just delays when the bounces occur.

• Disabling recipient verification makes the mail server receive emails for non-existent accounts.  I know that Exchange can handle them in different ways including bouncing them, but that would seem to be inefficient.  It also can send an NDR or deliver such mail to a trashcan account.  Others here know more about that than I.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Disabling recipient verification makes the mail server receive emails for non-existent accounts.  I know that Exchange can handle them in different ways including bouncing them, but that would seem to be inefficient.  It also can send an NDR or deliver such mail to a trashcan account.  Others here know more about that than I.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data