This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to disable bounce messages

I'm still running V6 (I know... I'm actually upgrading in about 2 weeks).  But want to know how to suppress or simply not send bounce messages back to a sender.  For example, when I send an email to a non existent user at my domain from gmail I get a bounce back on my gmail account telling me it was not delivered etc.  I don't want to send these messages.  Any thoughts / advice / info is greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I know it's possible because I kill a lot of NDR type messages on our other SPAM devices.  But I don't see anywhere to do it on the ASG's.  Any ideas, input would be greatly appreciated.

And while I'm at it...what about in V7?  Since I'll be upgrading to that soon.  Thanks
  • I don't know about your backend server, but in exchange you can disable ndr. I think it breaks some RFC but if that is what you want. 
    In v6 uncheck verify recipient on astaro and it will accept all the mail and relay it to your backend server. Now you can do whatever you please with that mail. 
    In v7 recipient verification is on by default and cannot be turned off so you will have to accept all the mail at the backend and deal with it there. The NDRs are by design and therefore you can't stop them unless you go and tweak exim (the MTA used by astaro) and that will void your warranty.
    Just curious on why you want to do this?
  • I figured out how to handle it elsewhere.  I don't want to send out NDR's.  Doing this can cause backscatter.  Check it out:
    http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/index.php/2008/05/16/are-you-relaying-ndr-spam/
  • This article states that "NDR spam is currently about 2% of all spam". Not really a big number, plus you can stop the kind of spam mentioned in the article by using BATV.

Glad you figured out a way on your own[;)]
  • FYI, I have quite a few mail spam boxes, various manufacturers, including 3 astaro 220 and a 320.  I tried BATV today on 7.402 boxes and some recipients mail servers REJECT mail if you have BATV configured on.  It doesn't like the extra text in the headers.  We process over 6 million emails in and out on a daily basis. so I saw the issue real quick.. THis time I changed it back real quick. HAHA before someone called us griping. haha
  • Backscatterer.org powered by UCEPROTECT
    Backscatterer.org powered by UCEPROTECT shows that 7.306 and 7.402 astaro STILL are not handling email right.  I've tried enabling and disabling stuff with no luck.  BATV just gets our outgoing emails rejected, mainly when they're headed to banks or wall street firms email servers.  Dunno what they're running or why.  Anyone got any hints.  I'd love to figure out why the astaros still do this.  They've done it for a long time.  They FAIL vulnerability scans on email on Qualys and others... Qualys show the astaro 7.402 and 7.306 are able to allow spammers to relay mail through the astaros by sending the spam victim as the the SENDER... then send to a non existant user on your domain behind the astaro.  That creates a bounced mail which goes to the victim....and NO i'm not going to call astaro.  They don't reply in a timely fashion.
  • RDL, if you have Gold support, the best way to contact support is to submit a support request via the web: https://www.astaro.com/license/open_support_case.  If you don't already have a free MyAstaro account, you can register there.

if you have Astaro Platinum support, you have a special phone number to call where response is fairly rapid, but the quickest is still via the web form.

As I said in a differnet post a few minutes ago, backscatter can be addressed by changing how you have your Astaro configured.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • additional info  for those interested or who have problem.  Backscatter has picked up big time this week for some reason.
    Computer Security Research - McAfee Avert Labs Blog
    astaro has this vulnerability on the mail server.
    Qualys and other vulnerability scanners show our astaros have the issue.
    Here's how to manually test/prove astaro has the issue with telnet to your astaro.
    Backscatterer.org powered by UCEPROTECT
  • Thanks,  I never had luck recently getting astaro to call back within 4 hours.

I'm going to have to move my email filtering over to another box until they fix it.
    Thanks SO MUCH for your suggestions I've read over the last few months.
    I'm just tired of working 100 to 120 hours a week last 2 weeks,
  • I"ll dig around and look for your post.  Thanks again.  Hopefully I can figure it out.  I'm kinda new to the computer industry.  Since 1976. haha   Hopefully my old tired brain can figure it out.  Thanks again kind sir.