This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Emails in Quarantine Don't Show in User Portal

If I log in to the 4444 port, then "Email Security > Quarantine Manager > Open quarantine manager in new window", I see a list of emails from several of my email addresses there. That's great. And I got the "E-Mail blocked" message in my email client. All good so far...

But when I log on to the https://astaro/portal site (End-User Portal) and go "Mail > Mail Manager", I don't see anything in the list. Even though under "Mail > POP3 Accounts" I have specified all of my email addresses. So maybe that setting is only for prefetch? (I have prefetch turned off). If so, then where do I do the binding of the "User" that logs into the End-User Portal with that person's set of email addresses?

--Dale--

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • if you are not using hte pop3 prefetch you won't see them in the portal.  Pop3 prefetch is a crapshoot as to if it will work or not..so far every astaro installation i have tried it with it fails..YMMV though.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Thanks very much for the reply.

if you are not using hte pop3 prefetch you won't see them in the portal. 
      That thought had crossed my mind.  Not originally, but after this post sat out there a while (on a different thread) and nobody picked it up, I started thinking that it must be a "dumb question".  And if "everybody" knows emails don't show in the portal unless you have prefetch on, I guess that would qualify as "dumb".

But so this seems like I need to put in a feature request then.  Why would you tell the email user (through email notification) "hey, you have this thing I think is spam" and then DON'T give the user a way to pull things that were mistakenly snagged?  THAT seems REALLY dumb!

I might have to try prefetch again, just to get the ability to release mistakenly snagged spam.  I tried prefetch earlier, but I was confused during my testing when I KNEW there was a message (since I could see it on the email Internet web interface my email provider has), but my local email client (talking to Astaro prefetch) said there were no messages.

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge.  I'd stand no chance at this without helpful folks like you.

--Dale--
  • What is the 'status' of the messages? If they are 'unaffected' they are not in the quarantine. Unaffected messages were already delivered.
  • Manfred, 

Thanks for the the idea.
    What is the 'status' of the messages? If they are 'unaffected' they are not in the quarantine. Unaffected messages were already delivered.
      I checked just to make sure, but no, I'm getting the "E-Mail blocked" message, and no message is delivered in that case.

The good news is that there are many fewer emails that offer to "enlarge" that are able to pass through to my email client!  But, as with any spam screening technology, there's occasionally one that is not spam that I'd like to release.  I know I can do that for myself at the quarantine manager screen, but for the other email users, they are apparently out of luck unless I can get prefetch working, or there is a new feature for non-prefetch release on the portal.

--Dale--
  • I can run SMTP queries in the quarantine to check mail that pass through the SMTP Proxy. We also get daily reports of the blocked email despite the fact there are no POP3 mail accounts setup. The SPAM Reports are smart enough to collect and foward information to each of our mail users. On the other hand, the End-User Portal does not list the mail the Daily SPAM Report was able to detect. The End-Users are given the same e-mail address listed in the Daily SPAM Report. So, I'm curious as to why SMTP blocked mail is reported via the daily report but is not available in the portal.
  • bvj, Yeah, that is strange.  I've seen things similar to what you describe.  The principle of minimum surprises apparently was not a high priority in the design of this subsystem, because I'm constantly surprised by how the email handling works!

--Dale--
  • Whatever it's worth, I have had exactly the same problem. I can't get the quarantined msgs to show up in the End User Portal. This is particularly frustrating given the introduction comments on the "Welcome" Tab of the EUP:

Mail: Manage your queue of quarantined messages, define your individual spam whitelist, and configure your POP3 accounts.

Apparently, there will be no managing of the queue... at least not by this method. I also noticed that after a test of adding some addresses in the Whitelist, they disappear.

Since I've got Spam filters running on all of my internal network machines anyway, I just turned off the Spam email filtering in ASG so that all the msgs are released and my users aren't struggling to get their emails released.

BTW, I noticed somewhere (don't ask me where, given the copious amount of reading I've had to do) there was mention that in the Daily Spam Report, not only could the user release messages, but they could also Whitelist them by using links in the email. This seems like an infinitely intelligent feature that seems to have disappeared somewhere along the way. It looks like this entire module managing the spam and the queue could use some work.
  • You have to add the email addresses of each user account  under the user definitions page and not under POP3 or SMTP proxy.

For example, I have one user named John Doe with primary email address of jdoe@mail.com. If I create a user account (either locally or through backend sync) with primary email address of jdoe@mail.com, all quarantined mails with address jdoe@mail.com will display under jdoe end user portal. 

Additionally, if I want to enable jdoe to be able to see other users' messages, I can add those email addresses under additional mail addresses tab in jdoe's user definition page properties.
  • The daily spam report is there, but you have to enable it.

As for the SPAM triggers depending on how you feel about it:
    1.) Set the spam thresholds to allow your users to get a bit of spam, but essentially all of their legit e-mail - thus very rarely needing to have your users release valid e-mails from quarantine,
    OR
    2.) Set the spam thresholds to allow your users to get virtually no spam, but you're essentially guaranteed that your users will have to release valid e-mails from quarantine.

Since the Astaro doesn't (currently) allow for individual user (or group) spam settings (that be a great enhancement! :rolleyes[:)] I agree that #1 (releasing all but the most obvious spam) to be a lot less problematic than #2, as there always seem to be end users who have problems with #2 and, as the computer person, you're the one who has the pleasure of hearing about it.
  • We had the same issue.  When we set up the AD queries I mistakenly put "name" in the Email Address Field.  Changing it back to "mail" solved the issue for us.