This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

smtp proxy - multiple mail servers

hi all :)

if i have 2 separate email servers, pop3 servers. each server contains diferent mailboxes, but both of them are in the same domain

so if i set the smtp proxy with 2 email servers, what will be the behavior if i get an email for an address on server 2? will the callout mechanism check if it exists in 1 and then retry at 2? or will it fail alltogether?

thank you

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • This is entirely a function of your mail system, not UTM.   UTM will not attempt to guess the right server, nor would any other submitting system if UTM was out of the picture.    When the sender is given a choice of devices, he will pick one server to use for a connection attempt.   If the message is rejected as an invalid recipient, the sender will not reattempt.

Consequently, it becomes the responsibility of your email server(s) accept traffic for all valid mailboxes.   If you have some mailboxes on a different system, then the initial email server must be able to relay to that other server.   Callout is simply a fake email connection request, which is dropped after a connection reqeust is accepted, so it follows the same path as email delivery.  If delivery works, callout will work.

If you inform UTM about both servers, then both servers must be able to accept traffic for all users.   If you only inform UTM about one server, then only one server needs to be smart.