This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Real-time scan customization

Goodmorning everyone,

I don't know if I'm writing in the right place, but I try to ask you a question:

I'm using Sophos antivirus on my Linux distribution. I have the free version of Sophos, although I am considering buying the home version.
I have activated real-time scanning via fanotify, since the "talpa modules" do not work.
Sophos analyzes every single file I open, even those that have just been closed and reopened a few seconds later. This implies, on my laptop, an excessive slowness in launching some applications, which even require many minutes to start. I think this depends on the fact that I installed the operating system on an eemc flash memory, which unfortunately is not very fast in reading.
I would like to ask you if there is any way to customize real-time protection, so that it doesn't scan every single file I try to start. Maybe it is possible to customize the behavior by purchasing some version of Sophos, but I would like to ask it, because if it is not possible to do it for me Sophos is unusable.

Thank you all.

Raffaele

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Raffaele,

first of all, the Free Tools forum is a good choice, UTM is a network device.

Please see the Recommended settings article, normally the performance impact shouldn't be forbidding. With which programs or application do you experience this slowness? 

Christian

• Ciao Rafaele and welcome to the Sophos Community!

This forum is for UTM (Universal Threat Management) and not for the product you appear to be using.  After you answer Christian's question, one of us moderators can move this thread to where you might be able to get a better answer to your question.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the answers!

I apologize for the delay. Yes, I'm afraid I asked this question in the wrong place; however I would like to thank you for your kind replies.
    I am using Sophos Free 9. I know there are paid versions that offer advanced features, but I would like to understand something more to better orient myself.
    I am using Sophos on a desktop pc, not a server, but anyway I prefer to have a reliable antivirus that allows me to copy data from Linux to Windows in complete tranquility.
    I find a slowness in opening software that occupies a few hundred MB or a few GB, like some game on Steam with which I spend time. It is not always the case, that is, sometimes the opening is almost immediate, while at other times it takes almost two minutes. I know that slowness depends on Sophos, because disabling real-time scanning does not present the problem.
    Of course Sophos is not an antivirus that requires a lot of resources, but unfortunately I am using it on a small 7-inch PC, which works with an Intel m3-8100y (the same as some Microsoft Surface); I don't think the problem is the processor, but the fact that the operating system runs on an eemc memory, with a reading speed of about 150/160 mb / s, perhaps insufficient to allow a quick scan of all the files I try to to open.
    I have not yet had the pleasure of trying Sophos on my home PC, where I can count on a much more powerful processor and an SSD; surely on the home PC I won't have problems.
    Feel free to move this discussion; I apologize again if I published in the wrong place, but with the English language I have some difficulties.

Kind regards.

Raffaele