This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mail Relay not sending all emails. Accepted: from relay in logs but nothing more

We are using the UTM as mail relay. However, we are having reports of mail not being sent. In the SMTP Log I can see multiple emails being sent to the same person. One which sends gives a

exim-in Accepted from relay then a SMTPD SCANNER line followed by the exim-out line.

However, I also get a few that only have the exim-in Accepted from relay. This would suggest that the UTM gets the email but then does not send it. Does anyone know what other logs I can check to see what could be going on.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Well it looks old like it’s happened again

Lots of emails not going out and possibly emails not coming in.

When I look on the log I just have a exim-in with accepted from relay. I then have nothing else in the log.

All other emails have a exim-in and a exim-out.

Restarting smtp seems to solve the problem. My issue is I can not see on mail manager these emails with just the exim-in. As a result I have no idea what the scale of the problem is.

I parsed the log file and found 400 just today.

• Do any of those mails have by chance particularly large attachments? Maybe there is a large one holding the UTM off. I had an issue one day when our Exchange stopped working for odd reasons. It still accepted Mails, so until it was discovered, there was already a large queue of mails. It was only resolved after we made sure the attachment limits in Exchange, UTM and at our ISP (Smarthost) where set to the same limit. It wasn't before we changed it, and one really large attachment held the whole queue back.

I expected to have a refuse message if a limit is reached in one devices in the chain, but that did not happen.

I guess it is unlikely that this is your problem, but you probably want to check anyways.

• I’m not aware that they have an attachment. It seems to be emails sent via a relay. Does the UTM have a limit to what it will send.

I have to say that support is garbage. We have had a few issues now that just have not been resolved and I’m not sure I can defend Sophos in our business. It’s becoming to stressful. The issue is that now anything that happens the finger of blame comes mine and the Sophos way. Unfortunately it seems that increasingly it is the Sophos.

The last firmware update broke VPNs to amazon and when we phoned they knew it was an issue. If they knew it was an issue they should have pulled the update.

• I am not aware if there are limits defined in factory settings. But you can check limits at Email Protection, SMTP, Advanced:

• I have had issues, with the setting, and had to increase the connections/host, the logs did state that there were too many connection.

the other issue I came across was the server did not have enough space and was not processing the email on the exchange server itself.

as I run the Firewall, it gave me grate pleasure to inform the IT company that their Exchange server needed more space, I sent them the log entries, and voila fixed.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• I have had issues, with the setting, and had to increase the connections/host, the logs did state that there were too many connection.

the other issue I came across was the server did not have enough space and was not processing the email on the exchange server itself.

as I run the Firewall, it gave me grate pleasure to inform the IT company that their Exchange server needed more space, I sent them the log entries, and voila fixed.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

Children
No Data