This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mail Relay not sending all emails. Accepted: from relay in logs but nothing more

We are using the UTM as mail relay. However, we are having reports of mail not being sent. In the SMTP Log I can see multiple emails being sent to the same person. One which sends gives a

exim-in Accepted from relay then a SMTPD SCANNER line followed by the exim-out line.

However, I also get a few that only have the exim-in Accepted from relay. This would suggest that the UTM gets the email but then does not send it. Does anyone know what other logs I can check to see what could be going on.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I assume that if you have a mail server, you are not a home user.   Mail flow is a critical issue to most organizations.  You should have and use Sophos Support first for anything as critical as this.

• We have. To be honest I find UTM support terrible in most cases.

Support ended up putting SMTP into debug mode to check. It still did not work and did not give much more info. However afetr switching debug off and restarting the service we started to get the emails sent. CPU rocketed and a load of emails started to flow out.

What I am still waiting for is a reason why this would happen. Most emails were sending.

• I have seen a small number of other posts about strange one-of-a-kind UTM problems being resolved by a reboot, although I have never experienced that situation myself.   Presumably, some random event corrupts a key portion of process memory and the strange behavior exists until the reboot gets memory back into a clean state.   Since rebooting solves the problem but also destroys the evidence, I doubt any better answer exists in this lifetime.

• I have seen a small number of other posts about strange one-of-a-kind UTM problems being resolved by a reboot, although I have never experienced that situation myself.   Presumably, some random event corrupts a key portion of process memory and the strange behavior exists until the reboot gets memory back into a clean state.   Since rebooting solves the problem but also destroys the evidence, I doubt any better answer exists in this lifetime.

Children
No Data