This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

mail usage

Hi,

We have for sometimes now move to Office365, but when get a daily report from utm, under the mail usage I can see 7 or 8 mails! if I go to the mail manger I cannot trace those email address!

We dont have any exchange server behind the UTM.

What this means?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • What do you see on the SMTP tab of Mail Manager?

Why is the SMTP Proxy enabled if you're using Offfice365?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • We just left it on for the time being, our mail license will expire soon and we will disable the proxy.

The strange part is when I check the mail manager I can see only the daily reports that utm sending us.

Question remaining is what are those emails? the senders are all known to us.

• You need to disable the SMTP Proxy while you still have a license that allows you to access that part of WebAdmin.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • You need to disable the SMTP Proxy while you still have a license that allows you to access that part of WebAdmin.

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Thank you Bob,

We will do that.

But before doing so, we have a virtual SMTP in LAN that our websites using it to send newsletters, and when I check the relay section of the mail protection see this smtp server there,
    Now when we disable the smtp proxy, do we need to create a firewall rule to allow smtp connection from that virtual SMTP to out side? currently all out going traffic is allowed.

Thanks

• Is the SMTP Proxy running in Transparent mode, or does your newsletter mailer use the UTM as a smart host?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The SMTP porxy is in simple mode. the virtual smtp server does not use the UTM as smart host. we have just added the smtp server to the Host-realy section of utm

Surely there must be some where that we can see from where those mails are beening send right? in the mail manager I cannot find nothing.

• If the SMTP Proxy is not in Transparent mode and your mailing server does not use the UTM as a smart host, the emails are not being relayed off the SMTP Proxy.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you again for your reply,

Yes we dont use SMTP in Transparen mode and the virtual smtp dons not use the UTM as smart host.

Dont you think a bit strange that sometimes we see mail usage at utm!!? the last mail usage is from last Sunday.

Thanks

• I would expect to see activity every time the UTM sends a notification.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA