This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Build new home appliance

Hello forum,

for my home setup the time is come to build a new appliance. At the moment I'm using a UTM120 rev.5 which is much to slow.

So what will be the goals:

• 19“ rack build
  • power saving (as much as it makes sense to keep it stable)
  • pure IPS troughput round about 2GBit/s (internal traffic, no AV and proxy for this requirement)
  • CPU with AES-NI support
  • 4 NICS (Intel)

I oriented the following hardware a little bit to the SG210 / SG230.

• ASUS P10S-I
  • Intel Celeron G3930
  • Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400, CL17-17-17 (KVR24N17D8/8)
  • Intel Gigabit ET, 2x 1000Base-T, PCIe x4
  • Supermicro SuperChassis 512L-200B
  • PicoPSU-90
  • LEICKE Power Supply 60W

I already have a 60GB SSD and a 256GB M2 SSD which I will try to use for this setup. But the rest should be complelty new.

Maybe one of you will be so kind to support me a little bit here with the hardware. What do you think will this work? Is the power supply chosen right. Will the  whole stuff fit in to the case with the fan and so on?

Or maybe one of you will have something completly different or better hardware.

I would be glad about your ideas or thoughts

V/R

tarasil

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo and welcome to the UTM Community!

"pure IPS troughput round about 2GBit/s" - I think you could get to that with dual-quad processors at 3+GHz, 24 GB of RAM and 20+ users active simultaneously. [;)]

You didn't say what speed your internet connection will be, but your processor choice is probably closer to what you need.  Take a look at the more recent posts in the *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) pinned at the top of this forum.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA