This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CPU for home use?

I am building a new system to host the Home version of Sophos UTM and would like to know which CPU would be best?  I plan on turning on both Anti-Virus as well as IPS and probably other security related features to help protect my family.  I also run VoIP for basic phone system.  So far, the parts I already have...

ASRock Q87 Server ITX mobo

*mobo has Intel i210 and i217 NICs, will add one more i210 NIC.

8GB DDR3-1600 CL9

250GB Seagate Constellation.2 HDD (2.5", 7200rpm,)

300W 80+ Bronze Seasonic PSU

Silverstone ML06 ITX case

Cryorig C7 CPU cooler

Now I have several options when it comes to CPU's as I own all these already...

G3258

i3-4170

Xeon E3-1226v3 (i5 equiv)

Xeon E3-1231v3 (i7 equiv)

I also wouldn't mind buying a used CPU if a certain one would fit in better.

Currently, my Internet speed is 150-20 and we frequently have multiple video streams going(Youtube, Netflix, Plex).  With in a year or two, Gig Fiber should become available in my area, so I want a CPU that could handle that, or at least near it since I know I would never get full Gig.  Or is that a pipe dream?

Anyway, which CPU would be the best option?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • In your instance, I would use the i3-4170.  Highest clock speed per core.  You probably would not need more cores, but speed is important to the IDS function especially since it is single-threaded.

• Right now, the Xeon E3-1226v3 is what I was looking to put into the system.  While it only clocks at 3.3Ghz, Turbo Boost takes a single core to 3.7Ghz, or 2 cores to 3.6Ghz, or all 4 cores to 3.5Ghz, so this CPU's speed isn't far from the i3.  The 1231 is another 100Mhz faster, but it lacks a GPU, making it harder to setup and run as I would need to buy a USB head-less adapter.  I would consider the G3258 as I know this chip can OC to 4.5Ghz with a decent cooler, but my current mobo can't OC, so that would entail a new mobo, and Z97 ITX mobo's are hard to find and expensive.

• Your extra cores will not be doing much.  I run mine with 2 vCPUs and it is pretty idle most of the time with IPS, AV, web filtering, etc. all enabled.  I would use the e3-1226v3 to start playing with esxi or something, then move utm to that platform.

Reply Children
No Data