This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Current popular QOTOM or similar hardware for home UTM-9?

Hello.

I'd like to change my home UTM-9 hardware from an old PC to one of the newer QOTOM-like devices.

I need four NICs - WAN, LAN, 2 WLANs.

Price is an issue, I'd like to keep the total < CDN$375 (US$300) if possible.

I'd appreciate recommendations and any 'gotchas' I should look out for.

Thanks!

Mike

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Looks like there's countless of these mini pc's on aliexpress.  How does the atom e3845 compare to an i5-5250u?

Looking at some of these other minipc's, the big drawback are the NIC's used..  Many are realtek, few and far between are intel.  For a firewall/router appliance I wouldn't use anything but intel. Of course, the fastest cpu available is also high on the criteria list.

I'm pretty happy with my set up.  Handles the 350mbps isp without issue.  If all goes well, will have gigabit fiber by the end of the week. Will see how well the 5250u handles that.

• Hi Jay Jay,

it has 4 genuine Intel NICs which are supported by the UTM software. The processors a quad core but i can't stress it due to ISP link speed limitations. Sometime this year I might get access to a 50/20 link. It is more powerful than most of the lower end SG/XG hardware.

I bought the box to replace my XG (the XG handles dual links very well), but instead put it in front of the XG to provide IPv6 connectivity. When t he link upgrade happens I will be back to one  link and have to decide whether the XG or UTM. Hopefully by then the XG will have improved the IPv6 handling.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Here's a comparison of the Atom e3845 vs. the i5-5250U.

Intel Core i5 5250U vs. Intel Atom E3845

This qotom mini pc has the Intel I211-T nic which works.

Q350G4

• If I was to buy again, I'd get this one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Industrial-PC-Gateway-Firewall-Router-for-pfSense-Core-I7-5500U-AES-NI-4-Gigabit-NICs-QOTOM/32855356778.html

This processor is somewhat faster than the 5250u, supports vt-d (for virtualization). 

https://ark.intel.com/compare/85214,75460,84984,75459

Higher base freq (2.4ghz vs 1.6ghz for the i5 5250u), and 4mb cache vs 3mb.  Realistically negligible differences, but unfortunately the 5250u is no longer available.  I paid $335 USD for mine last september.  Looks like this new one is around $420 USD.  Demand went up, prices went up.  Or buy with no ram and get the ram at newegg/amazon.

Ram prices went up too!@#  $65-80 for the 8gb of ram these days.

• Hi Jay Jay,

thank you for those links. If the new box is not capable of handling the load I will continue to use my existing XG.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• The issue with that one, according to some people from the community, is that it doesn't have a VGA port (Only HDMI) which makes the Sophos ISO fail and get stucked at "Detecting Hardware". It might've been fixed now but I am not sure. Need someone from Sophos to confirm.

• I can't recall with 100% certainty but I don't recall having issues installing when connected via hdmi.  Ultimately I installed it under exsi so I could run other services on the box - freepbx and and a small ups monitoring linux install (cyberpower systems).