This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM120 Firmware Updates

Hello,

Currently I have  UTM 120 on firmware version 9.414 -2 and 3 more updates are available.  I wonder if I can go and update the latest version right away (9.503-4)  or I have to go from the oldest to the latest.

I have set automatic backup and I'm planning to backup configuration before run updates.

Thank you on your answer,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Denis,

you can update to the latest. The sophos will install the updates one by one and does some reboots. This will interrupt your services serveral times. Backups are always a good idea :-).

There might be an issue with high boot times with firewalls <= SG 135 when updating to firmware versions >= 9.5.x  You find some information here in the forum.

Difficult to say which models and configs are affected. I have this under investigation in my company regarding one of my four SG 135 but as the device is located in Sydney I have to wait their reply. The other tree are still running with 9.4.x

Best regards,

Bernd

• Salut Denis and welcome to the UTM Community!

My current recommendation is to not Up2Date beyond 9.413.  I would stay at 9.414 for now.  I'm not far from "approving" 9.503 for my clients - maybe next week...

Bernd, there should only be a single reboot if more than one Up2Date is applied.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you guys on the answer.

The reason why I want to update is because I am planning migration to SG 125 and I got information from Sales rep that both devices needs to be on same firmware version.  

I have to check SG 125 firmware version once I have it in my possession and then I will check if UTM 120 need to update base on SG 125.

Thank you,

Denis 

• You can restore a 9.414 backup to a device on 9.503.  You cannot restore a 9.503 backup to a device on 9.414.  Again, I would stay on 9.414, Denis.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • @Denis,

you can downgrade the firmware of the SG125 to 9.414 and then transfer the config. I'd also suggest this because of the slow boot issue of smaller firewalls since 9.5xx.

@BAlfson,

I am a bit surprised that you can restore a 9.414 to a 9.503 device. I always thought that you need to update and transfer the config form firmware version to firmware version. From my point of View an update to latest version is exactly doing this by several steps and reboots.

Can I also install manually the latest firmware and transfer the older config? How old could the config version be compared to the firmware version.

Best regards,

Bernd

• I know this can be done with the latest versions of V8 and all versions of V9.  I suspect that the latest version of 7.5 would install, but that's too long ago for me to remember.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Guys, 

Just to give you a quick update. Upgrade from UTM 120 to SG 210 went smoothly and I didn't have any problems after firewall swap.

Old firewall was on Firmware version 9.414-2 and new one was on 9.409-9. At that point I updated only new firewall to exact same version as old one perform backup and restore.

I noticed that there are couple of firmware versions out now after 9.414-2 and I dont know if I should update to the latest one or any other one. Do you recommend an version after 9.414-2?

Thank you,
    Denis

• I would Up2Date 9.414 to 9.415.  If you're using Web Protection or Active Directory, I would wait to go to 9.5.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA