This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM 9.5 Home hangs sometimes at the boot process

Hi,

my Sophos UTM 9.5 Home Edition hangs sometimes at the boot process. It happens at a reboot as well as when the UTM was completly powered off and on again.

It hangs at the splash screen ("Press F2 for details"). When I press F2, I can see the following log:

When the UTM not hangs, it boot up and run without any problem.

What I've already tried to solve the problem:

- Reinstalled Sophos UTM
- Updated firmware of BIOS and SSD
- Checked S.M.A.R.T.-> OK
- Detail check of SSD -> OK

My hardware:
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V
SSD: 60GB Kingston SSD Now V300 (SV300S37A/60G)

I've found a post of a similar problem where the power supply was the reason. But there the issue also occured when the system booted fully up and ran for a while. Not sure if it could be the same issue at my UTM.

Can anybody see more details in the screenshots above to identify the problem?

Thank you.

Jas Man

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Jas,

did this happen for a longer time or after you updatet to the firmware 9.50x?

I'd first check the memory.

Then all connectors.

If possible replace the ssd with another one or a harddrive and test whether this works better.

Best regards,

Bernd

• are you sure it's not "only" taking very long to boot? since V 9.5 it can take up to six minutes!

also, see this thread ->

9.500 Slow to fully boot with UTM SG 105 / SG 115 / SG 125 / 135 since 9.5xx

•     : I'm not totaly sure but I mean it first appeared with version 9.5. I didn't know that there's a major issue regarding the boot process as mentioned.

I've already checked the connections and cleaned the chassis from dust. I think it's not a hardware problem because if the UTM is up, it runs fine. Anyway I've no other disk to test at the moment. But as I wrote the SSD check shows no errors. What I can do is to take out one of the two RAM module to check if one of them is faulty. But then, in my opinion, the UTM should show errors in the Kernel or System log during running time.

No, it's defenitly not only a long boot. I've notice that the boot time since 9.5 is much longer than before. But I've waited for more than 10 minutes and as you can see in the second screenshot, the system shows an I/O error for the disk at the console. If it boots up normal, it shows the console login screen after 1 minute, and after 4-5 more minutes it's fully up.

I hope my issue has to do with the long boot issue, and it will be solved by Sophos soon. Until this I'll wait before I begin to change hardware parts.

Thank you for your ideas and help.

• Are you able to take a back up and reset it back to factory default then re upload your back up file, then confirm the issue still exists? Just curious..

• You're about a year late.  I assume the OP got their issues resolved as they never updated the thread.

But yes, based on the screen shots I'd start by testing with another hd.

• Hey,

I'd also did an reset as well as an new installation with an new SSD, but the issue was the same.
    My final solution was a switch to OPNsense. [:$]

Since then I'd never had this issue again with the same hardware.

Jas

• Thanks for the update.

Looks like this is one of those all in one arrangements (or almost all in one).  Could of been a storage setting in the bios, or possibly driver incompatibility with what's included in the sophos software appliance iso.

I installed utm on a qotom box based on a 5250u cpu under esxi for a long time, no issues there.  If I recall, I did install it bare metal to play around with at first, also no issues that I can recall, but it didn't stay bare metal for too long. Up times of 60 days +.  Usually a reboot because I do make periodic full vm backups.  I know they can be made while the system is running but I'm more comfortable with it shutdown during a backup.

It's odd that it would hang intermittently.  Maybe the kernel used in utm is more critical of certain functions than that in pf/opnsense.

If you have time/desire, might be worth a shot installing the current utm, or installing it under esxi.  You pay a 1.5GB penalty in ram (hypervisor overhead), but gain more functionality out of the box.

• I am able to reproduce it every time I update to 9.5 but since this thread is closed