This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Faulty build - what to do?

Hello,

So I managed to do a completely faulty build.

I based the build on the ASUS H110T, since I apparently didn't know one thing: i219v is not compatible and not recognized by the Sophos UTM.

Not enough research and no posts here, that's what I get.

Other hardware is:

i3-6320

8GB DDR4 RAM

Transcend M.2 SATA 32GB

So, what are my options? Or am I looking at €500 down the drain, if I cannot return the hardware?

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

you will need to install dual NIC in the expansion slot and use a normal sata drive also make it bigger than 32gb recommend at least 64gb.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Unfortunately, there is no expansion slot (no PCIE slot). Besides, the chosen case, Silverstone PT13, is thin, and that was initially an intention - falsely.

Anything else I can do with LVDS or M.2, if I would get another, bigger case?

I have a spare SATA SSD with 128GB laying around, so that is no problem. I actually only wanted M.2 for the small case... returning it unpacked, Amazon won't like it.

Right now, I think the options are to either return everything or at least a big portion (case, mobo, ram, possibly drive, keep CPU), or see if I can come by with a minimal budget upgrade.

Btw. how is the CPU? Enough for up to 100MBit with IPS and VPN? It's a normal household with some 15 IPs or so, 2-3 computers, couple of phones, ipads, some multimedia devices (TV, Receiver etc.). I don't really want to be limited by the CPU... maybe I don't understand how IPS is working, so help me here please.

• Already thought about the virtualization.

Isn't that a loss of lots of performance?

I currently have Sophos in the VM, and I have some problems.

I don't know if it's due to VM, but when on VPN, I have a feeling that my connection is terribly slow. Never checked how the CPU in the Sophos Console shows though... any way to test if the VM is the limit?

EDIT:

If I was to get a dedicated hardware that works, would this be correct:

CHIEFTEC FLYER SERIES FI-03B

ASUS H110I-Plus

Intel I350-T2 retail, 2x 1000Base-T, PCIe 2.0 x4 (I350T2)

8GB DDR4 2133Mhz

The NIC is about €100. The case supports one expansion card.

• Hi,

if you are having issues with performance with the UTM in a VM check your memory settings, you should be using a fixed value, not dynamic.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• OK, will do, forgot to turn the main computer on (where VM is), but will check when I get to it. I do think however that I gave it 8GB, or at least 4GB, fixed.

What should I do to reliably test the performance in the VM?

And is there a performance loss if using VM?

• if the NICs are newer Intel ones they will not be supportet atm.

all intel nic chipsets e.g. which support Intel AMT are not supported atm.

cause old kernel used in utm and no driver package included for these nics...

there is a hcl list somewhere here in the forum.. check it and see if its compatible...

my tipp:

just buy a zotac CI327... put 8GB RAM and a 120GB SSD in it.. its good for home use ;-)

greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...

• In this list:

https://sophserv.sophos.com/repo_kb/118185/file/118185_HCL9001.pdf

I can find I350, specifically I350-T2. Don't know if it's AMT or not though.

The card I mentioned is here:

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=V4A91AA&opt=&sel=ACC

It is listed since 2011 - so not new. Not the V2...

Somehow doubt that the 1,1GHz CPU will be enough for at least 75MBit throughput with IPS on - which is one thing I'd like to have on.

• think the cards should work then.. but no guarantee from me ;-)

if the CPU has more than one core should not be the problem to activate IPS..

greets

zaphod

• Of course. At least in the case of having a slot to put a card in, I am sure to be able to find one that works.

Activating IPS is not a problem, even with weaker CPU, but I did read it's better to have high clock per core rather than more slower cores.

But:

Will I be able to get 100Mbit with IPS on? I see some report of 50Mbit limit... is this Sophos Appliance or just a hardware limitation, meaning with the chosen i3, I will have more?

• no one will answer this with "yes it will do"..

too much details to be aware of.. just test it.

as far as i know i3 is a good choice...

i get about 95 MBit with this little cpu Intel 2961Y(dual core, 1.1 GHz), but its at my home so no commercial use

greets

zaphod

• Hi,

if you search the forums you will see what various people have achieved. A basic UTM (about 200 size) will handle over 100mb/s connection with most options enabled is my reading. A UTM 220 runs something like a dual core at about 1.4ghz, not an I3 or even a lesser Pentium, but maybe a celeron.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• I'll just then install ESXI and test today. I guess that is one test that I can do without buying anything else.

Reply Children
  • I installed ESXI 6.5, and while Intel gets recognized, Realtek doesn't... however, in manage, it sees Realtek 8111, but under Physical NICs, only Intel shows. Ideas maybe? (I know it's not VMW support forum, just asking)

I already ordered another system, returning what I bought, except the CPU.

• Just a small update:

The new system with Asus H110I-PLUS and Intel i350-T2 is up, and performing seemingly well.

With IPS I can achieve 75Mbit easily, CPU is doing about 10%, which is great because power usages stays low too, about 18W both idle and 10% usage.

Also VPN is much more stable and better performing.

That is my noobish observation.

• How are you measuring your speeds?  Large downloads or other method?

• Large download, tested with a continuous about 5GB large file at full speed. Don't know if that is any good measurement, but I think if that fits, then anything else will fit. Not really into scientific measurements...

• I do the same. Of course, there are other functions such as vpn processing that place additional load on the hardware.  In my case, upload is only ~25 mbps so not very demanding.

Unless you can return, I'd put esxi on it and call it a day.  That should get you the nic support you need.  You can then run other servers on the machine too.  I plan on installing freepbx to handle a few google voice accounts and soft phones.

• My upload is less than 10Mbit, so I can do probably everything the box can offer and still not hit the max.

I already have it fully built and not changing anything. I got the Intel card, changed the mobo and case, and with 18W power usage (which translates to about €25/year), I am really calling it a day. Trying to achieve less power usage would be futile, as we are talking about not more than €10 less, for an investment that would cost me at least €100, were I to start testing with PicoPSU, for instance. I think 18W power usage are quite realistic and good.