This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Update 9.502-4 random disconnects

Updated to 9.502-4 this morning. Since the update the server has gone offline twice. When looking at the console the server appears to be online however it is not available from the webadmin and is not pingable. Rebooting has so far resolved the issue; however multiple reboots have been needed.

I can find nothing in the logs that relate to the failure. 

I am over my license limit of 100 users however I have been over my license limit for some time. I just recently moved from 50 to 100 users and have never had an issue in the past. I have many devices that point to the UTM as their gateway unncessarily. I'm in the process of cleaning that up.

Is the license limit the issue or is there a problem with the update that is resulting in this server failure?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • During these outages I've verified that the internet connection is online. The internal address of UTM is not pingable or accessible via the WebAdmin screen. I've tried multiple source IPs in the event my personal computer was blocked due to licensing.

I've turned on SYSLOG messages hopefully to capture any output from the server prior to it shutting down. I had a similar problem in the past after an update but that issue was transient and went away on its own. So far this issue has occurred twice. Once around 10:45 and again around 2:45. I updated the UTM around 8:30 this morning.

• Do you be chance have a monitor and keyboard you can plug into it.

and logon to the console directly, then see the top processes and see if any is consuming 100%? (you may need to reset the ssh password for root and loginuser if you don't remember it.

Also what model do you have?

• I use the software utm on dell platform. Most of the time my CPU usage is negligible but I haven't checked during an event.

I did change the login after I got it back up last time. Does anyone know if the licensing check is on a four hour timer. I'm coming up on four hours since last reboot so if that's it I should know soon.

• I use the software utm on dell platform. Most of the time my CPU usage is negligible but I haven't checked during an event.

I did change the login after I got it back up last time. Does anyone know if the licensing check is on a four hour timer. I'm coming up on four hours since last reboot so if that's it I should know soon.

Children
  • Hi, Philip, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Has this problem resolved itself?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yes as abruptly as it began it has stopped. I recall after another update possibly two or three ago I had the same issue. Either one or two reboots later the issue was resolved then as well.

I have no explanation for the behavior. The system stops responding and then a reboot resolves the issue after a few minutes then abruptly quits again. The internet service itself was constantly operational.

• Hi,

can you please check the KERNEL log for the problematic date?

I have seen some customers with many "MARTIAN SOURCE" entries in the kernel log after 9.502 and VOIP and Internet connections went awol after that, all for 5-10mins. and suddenly it vanished??! yikes!

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Architect