This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can we expect hardware support for Lenovo System x3550 M5 (8869EJG)?

Hey everyone!

I was so unfortunate to believe that a current system hardware with Broadcom network interfaces would be supported by Sophos UTM. So I set up a new Lenovo System x3550 M5 server with an additional Broadcom NetExtreme Quad Port GbE Adapter (90Y9352) with the hopes that that'd be working just fine.

It does not. The network interfaces are recognized during setup and they can be configured, but they don't interface to the network. ;) Traffic will neither go out nor in.

The driver that manages the interfaces is Tigon3 (tg3) and the part numbers that pop up during kernel init are 00JY851 and BCM95719.

This post is half a warning for users trying to switch to current hardware and half the question if we can expect driver support for these parts in the near future.

Can anybody question their glass crystal, please?

Regards

Alex

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Did you review the knowledge base before you bought the server?

Are the NICs supported in linux?

If the NICs are identified in the installation process then they should show up in the hardware interface list.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hey,

the Lenovo part number for Broadcom NetXtreme Quad Port GbE Adapter is 90Y9352. A quick search turns up this specs page: https://lenovopress.com/tips0758-broadcom-netxtreme-gigabit-ethernet-adapters and in the table I can see the chipset for this adapter which should be BCM5719.

This chipset is on the Sophos HCL. Nevertheless, it doesn't work. :( The dual port adapter 90Y9370 is using chipset BCM5720 but doesn't work, either.

So relying on the HCL doesn't actually help that much.

BTW, I didn't try to search for information on Linux kernel support for these devices. I also didn't do a lot of research in the knowledgebase. Just quick searches for x3550 which basically turned up nothing. 

Regards

Alex

• Hi Alex,

In all compatibility cases, it is easier to simply run Hyper-V with dedicated VM for Sophos UTM. This way Sophos will detect all the generic network adapters but Windows will have all the correct drivers installed.

So bascailly, install Windows 2012 R2 on your server, install all the drivers, install Hyper-V, create a virtual machine and allocate all resources to it, add your require network adapaters. Install Sophos.

Done and done. No problems messing around with drivers in Sophos and faster reboots in the event a UTM goes down. You can also use HA Active Standby with two VMs as well.

• Hi Alex,

In all compatibility cases, it is easier to simply run Hyper-V with dedicated VM for Sophos UTM. This way Sophos will detect all the generic network adapters but Windows will have all the correct drivers installed.

So bascailly, install Windows 2012 R2 on your server, install all the drivers, install Hyper-V, create a virtual machine and allocate all resources to it, add your require network adapaters. Install Sophos.

Done and done. No problems messing around with drivers in Sophos and faster reboots in the event a UTM goes down. You can also use HA Active Standby with two VMs as well.

Children
No Data