This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ZOTAC ZBOX Nano CI547

Hi All,

I have just bought the new ZOTAC CI547 with the new i5 Kaby Lake processor, and i put in 32GB Ram and a 256GB SSD HDD in it, so i will be extra fit to run the Sophos UTM for the next years to come. I could prior to my purchase not find any detailed specs on the Ethernets hardware, and was hoping it was INTEL. But it unfortunately happened to be Realtek. :-(

And now that i am installing the Sophos appliance, it only detects 1 Ethernet port and not both. I have already updated the firmware to the latest.

Any of you have any suggestions to what i need to do before the system detects both NIC's?

Cheers

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

your ram is an overkill, 16gb is more than adequate and 8 is very good for many years to come.

NICs, the site specifications aren't very helpful, but I would suspect the missing one from your installation might be an unsupported Intel similar to I219v.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi,

your ram is an overkill, 16gb is more than adequate and 8 is very good for many years to come.

NICs, the site specifications aren't very helpful, but I would suspect the missing one from your installation might be an unsupported Intel similar to I219v.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Children
  • Yes i know its overkill. I Just wanted to Max out the memory Banks. Then my only option is to use a hypervisor like Vmware esxi to run the sophos utm on this hardware until supported? What do you mean with you comment "Testing ..." Cheers
  • Is the 2nd NIC eventually for Remote Management and not a 'real NIC' that is shown to the OS?

I don't know the box but with a free slot you could use an additional NIC.

If all fails you could use one NIC with 2 VLANs, but that propably requires a switch that can handle VLANs connected to it.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• Hi Eddie,

I had the same problem with a Shuttle DS68U with Intel i211 and i219 NICs. I can confirm that neither UTM 9.4 nor XG 16.05 installers were working with the i219 NIC.

Now I'm using the Linux Distribution Proxmox with its nice web-based management UI (no Windows and no fat client needed :-)) and it works really great with KVM and the virtio drivers. (I used the software installers and not the preinstalled VM containers available)

With the virtualization under the hood you will have the benefit of real easy backups/restores AND the possibility to run both, the UTM and and the new XG in parallel to try out the new XG or perform a manual migration without additional hardware.

Greets

DomNik

• Hi DomNik,

I am convinced, that both NIC's are RealTek. There are Intel and Realtek versions of the windows drivers on their homepage. The NIC's seem to be mounted on systemboard with their own controller entity. And the WLAN NIC might have a different chipset. What i don't understand is, when the DUAL NIC's are using the same chipset, why it only shows one.

I can of course try to install a windows, and see what drivers are attached to the different NICs

Thanks for your feedback

• So is it running flawlessly under virtualisation? Is there a chance that WiFi might be running? How is the performance? I'm considering this device to run sophos home utm, but I have a symmetric Gigabit fiber connection at home and I'm not sure whether it can handle it. :/ Any experiences or other advices?

(Sorry for hijacking your thread)

• Hi DomNik,

The Linux Distribution Proxmox seems to be a subscription service license. Is there a version for free somewhere?

I can confirm now that the CI547 is running with an Intel i219 NIC as secondary. An VMWARE ESXI 6.5 revealed the adapter. When i activate the ESXI management network configuration goes hay wire.

Cheers

• Hi, Eddie, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Configure a VM under ESXi using SUSE Enterprise 11 64-bit.  Use the VMXNET3 adapters and you should be happy!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Eddie,

you can use Proxmox without a subscription for non-productive/home use.

To do so, you need to change the software repository as described here:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#_proxmox_ve_no_subscription_repository

Greets

DomNik

• I am running latest utm on a Zotac ZBOX CI323 (latest Firmware) 8Gb and 60Gb SSD and this is great, although I did have to set the interfaces manually (not auto-negotiate).

Runs cools, and no more than 8% CPU unless under extreme load (I then see it peak at 25%), but I don't use WAF or Email Protection.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Zotac Boxes CI 321 + CI 323 are working with UTM Installer... newer Hardware like CI547 will not cause of the unsupported chipset...

so if you will run UTM without virtualisation between.. you can only use "older" models of zbox... like ci323...

greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...