This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DrayTek VigorNIC 132 PCI-E Modem with Sophos UTM / XG Firewall

Hello and thank you for your attention!

I plan on using either Sophos UTM or XG Firewall for my network at home and ordered the hardware already.
Now I am wondering if I could replace my old modem with a DrayTek VigorNIC 132 which I would put inside the case as well.
Here the link to the NIC: https://www.draytek.com/en/news/latest-news/2016/06/08/vdsl2-hybrid-nic-vigornic-132-series

From what I've read it connects to the host PC as a normal NIC while being a modem complete with own OS, configurable with a web interface accessible through the connected ethernet adapter.

I wanted to set it to Bridge Mode and use the PPPOE-Client of the UTM/XG Firewall to connect to my VDSL subscription. (I know it works with the normal DrayTek Vigor 130 modem)

Is there anybody here who knows if this will work out at all?
I read here: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/hardware-installation-up2date-licensing/84276/draytek-vigornic-132 that the UTM properly detects the card as Ethernet Interface but that user could not connect to the web interface to configure it.

I hope somebody can help me with this.

Kind regards,

Paul

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I will try again. I answered this this morning.

The UTM/XG will recognise the NIC but not the modem attached unless it is Sophos supported.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hello rfcat_vk,

excuse me for posting in two different forums. I was under the impression that those forums have two completely different products and user bases. I just wanted to ask both sides before making up my mind which one to use.

As for your statement:

I think all is well if the UTM only recognizes the NIC. I thought that the host doesn't even need any modem drivers because all that is detected would be a NIC with a connected stand-alone modem on the other end. If I read correctly, the VigorNIC is basically a normal modem disguised as a PCI-Card. All it needs is power from the PCI Slot and all it provides is an Ethernet-Adapter.

I guess the user of the other thread somehow solved his problem already and forgot to mention how.

Would be awesome if anybody could shed some light on this.

Thanks again!

• Somethings you can try. Configure the interface and create a dhcp server, then see if the modem is assigned an ip address and is accessible.

You can either try to access or see if it will take commands.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.