This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM9 install on machine with only DVI-D/HDMI connection

I would like to know if Sophos UTM9 will get an update whereby someone who has a motherboard with onboard DVI-D/HDMI connections only (no VGA on board nor a video card with VGA available) will be able to complete an install.

I have read the various posts about how to get installations to work, but they are beyond my technical expertise.  I am using a Z170 motherboard that has one ethernet connection that isnt recognized during installation (Killer 2400).  If I use the only PCIe slot for a Intel 1000PT dualport card, I am forced to use on-board video.  When installation goes it gets stuck at 66%.

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Jeff,

My suggestions:

Put the disk in a PC with standard vga, do the install and then put it back. Maybe you have to try wich interface is eth0 but it worked for me several times.

Good luck!

CS

Sophos Certified Architect (UTM + XG)

• CS-

Thanks for the tip.  If I do it on a machine that is a dual core and then put the HDD in a machine that is a quad core--will that make a difference?

Thanks,

Jeff

• No. It doesnt matter.

Only if you choose the 64bit version then booth system should support 64bit.

CS

• ok, I did that.  I installed Sophos on the following hardware using 64bit installation:

Asus H97i-plus mobo

16GB Ram

Intel I3-4130 CPU

Intel Dual port 1000PT Server card

Kingston 120GB HDD

Installation went fine and I assigned the LAN IP of 192.168.1.13 (Web interface is Https://192.168.1.13:4444)

Powered it down, put SSD in the hardware I want to use it on:

Gigabyte GA-Z170N Mobo

16GB Ram

Intel I7-6700K

Intel Dual port 1000PT Server card

It boots up, but then I noticed the NICs are not initalizing.  No lights or anything.  The admin interface that shows on the screen is https://0.0.0.0:4444

I cant logon now even when sitting at machine.  Help, please?

• Jeff, the UTM is not plug-n-play.  The install wizard only loads the drivers for devices it sees.  Maybe the 1000PT cards are not identical or the one in the i7 Mobo is dead.  Have you tried swapping them?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The one used for the install is identical to the one used on the I7 mobo because I moved it to the I7 mobo.  The one on the I7 mobo is a 'killer NIC' that is not recognized.

• Hi Jeff,

I think, the nic order or the nic driver are the problem.

Here are some helpful commands to view and change the nic config from the commandline.

http://www.greenvalleyconsulting.org/?s=utm

Look for "changing nic order".

There are also some cool documents how to use the commandline config "cc" to change the nic configuration without network access.

Good Luck!

CS

• So i was able to get in via command line, logged on as 'root', and was able to see the network cards.  I changed the status to "1' which enables them, but the cards never seem to power up.  What did I miss?

• Nothing i tried seems to work on the 6700K setup.  I pieced together the following hardware:

Intel Pentium G3220 CPU (3Ghz dual core)

Asus H81M-k mobo

8GB samsung low power DDR3-1600 memory

120GB Kingston SSD

Intel Dual port 1000PT server NIC

Is the cpu going to be fast enough for a 300/20 service?  Not going to enable IPS

• It will be fast enough if IPS (Snort) is not used.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children
  • Thanks Bob for your reply.  In what situations would one want to enable IPS?

• You bet, Jeff.  Especially if you have any DNATs that allow traffic in from the Internet to a mail server or a web server, for example.  It's also helpful in identifying if there's an infected machine in your network.  I probably wouldn't leave it off unless I only had a time clock at the site that I monitored via Remote Access to the UTM.  It's definitely worth having a faster processor if you can fit that in the budget.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Once again, thank you for your response.  I was trying to get it to work on the I7-6700K install, but as you can see from my progress above, I have been unsuccessful.  That is ultimately where i would like Sophos to reside.

I dont have any webserver/email server behind the firewall.  For a home user, is it needed?

• It's less important for a home user that doesn't DNAT Internet traffic to a particular device.  See #2 in Rulz to understand that it's one of the first lines of defense.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Installed v 9.5 on following hardware:

Gigabyte G1-Z170N Gaming 5 mITX mobo

Intel I7-6700K CPU

16GB DDR4-2400 ram

256GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD

Dual port Intel P1000T NIC

I was stunned.....no errors/stalls during install (this machine only has DVI-D and HDMI video ports and with v 9.4 it would hang up at 66%)

This machine uses an NVMe SSD which was also properly detected and installed to.  Restored from backup file and am up and running fine!!

No performance hit at all when IPS is enabled.