This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Interfaces change on reboot

I have a very odd issue whereby when I reboot my UTM firewall some of the interfaces are mapped to different NIC's than before it was rebooted.

For example, before the reboot I did last night, eth3 was assigned to the interface with a MAC address ending in C9:46.  But, after the reboot eth3 was trying to use the interface ending in C9:45.  In fact, all the interfaces (except eth1 which is my external interface) seem to have swapped around.

This also meant I was unable to get into the WebAdmin system to troubleshoot.

The UTM runs as a VM under Hyper-V.  I was able to resolve the situation by logging into the CLI, and matching up the IP Address set on each interface with which VLAN/Virtual Switch it should be connected to, and change the Network Adapter settings to match what UTM was using following the reboot.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening, or what I can do to fix it?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • No idea why it is happening, only seen this on home editions previously and where an old config is loaded onto new hardware.

The netcard list file seems to be sticky in some cases when a backup is loaded.

A coworker of mine had the same issue on VMware with a home edition a couple of weeks ago..

If you have shell cli access you can edit the 70-persistent-net.rules file.

A good idea to write down the Mac adresses beforehand also and match them with the 70-persisten file.

vi /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Edit mode, press “i”.

Edit the name var ( ETHX ) to the order you need.

ESC to leave "edit mode"

Save with “:wq”.

Reboot with “shutdown -r now”.

Cheers

• No idea why it is happening, only seen this on home editions previously and where an old config is loaded onto new hardware.

The netcard list file seems to be sticky in some cases when a backup is loaded.

A coworker of mine had the same issue on VMware with a home edition a couple of weeks ago..

If you have shell cli access you can edit the 70-persistent-net.rules file.

A good idea to write down the Mac adresses beforehand also and match them with the 70-persisten file.

vi /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Edit mode, press “i”.

Edit the name var ( ETHX ) to the order you need.

ESC to leave "edit mode"

Save with “:wq”.

Reboot with “shutdown -r now”.

Cheers

Children
No Data