This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to buy SG105 for home use - licensing and support?

As the title says - I want to get a firewall for my home network. I settled on SG105 appliance. Two questions - will I be able to run UTM Home (free for <50 IPs) on that appliance? And, what sort of support do I get? When stuff hits the fan - is there a phone number I can call?

Thank you,

Igor.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Igor,

If You like to have full support You should have a look on the SG105 basic guard bundle. It's the smallest and cheapest support bundle.

Bye CS

Sophos Certified Architect (UTM + XG)

• Interesting idea, CS.  I wonder if it's possible to purchase only a Premium Support subscription.  I wonder if Support would work on a unit with a home-use license if the individual owned a license not on the device.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Interesting idea, CS.  I wonder if it's possible to purchase only a Premium Support subscription.  I wonder if Support would work on a unit with a home-use license if the individual owned a license not on the device.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • I investigated and found that a 3 year licence and hardware was going to be cheaper than the last hardware I bought.

The issue being with the SG105 is what is the maximum internet speed you can get to work on the device. To me it looked like a SG115 would be needed for most home users 4gb and about 95mb/s throughput which I did not look at cost.

The advantages are no IP limit upto hardware overload, supposed support.

But being a fiddler (the pun being I can't fiddle and I am always off key) I choose to buy more hardware which is a way overkill, quad core e3, 8gb and some ssd I had lying around on a server MB.

I do look at the specifications of both UTM and XG and wonder what world the developers (hardware) live in. My home system without too many users UTM uses about 4gb and my XG uses 2.5gb, but the basic systems sell with 2gb get real guys. 4gb of ram is not that expensive, in fact trying to buy 2gb of ram probably costs more.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• We bought two SG105 and are more than disapointed.

One of them (#1) is used at home. Family with three kids. All kids are to young to have pcs or mobiles. The second (#2) is used in a very small office of us. At this time nobody is in that office.
    But bouth SG105 are running out of ressources:

The UTM220 at the bottom of the screenshot is my home hardware ;-)

Viele Grüße / Best Regards,
    Manu

- CISO -
    - Sophos SCA & Partner-

• Hi,

thank you for the screen shot. You confirmed my thoughts on an SG105/XG105.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.