This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to buy SG105 for home use - licensing and support?

As the title says - I want to get a firewall for my home network. I settled on SG105 appliance. Two questions - will I be able to run UTM Home (free for <50 IPs) on that appliance? And, what sort of support do I get? When stuff hits the fan - is there a phone number I can call?

Thank you,

Igor.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Igor,

You won't have any phone support on a home license. Your only means of support will be this forum..... And yes, it is possible to convert a SG105 to a Home license, but it will require you to first basic setup the SG105 and then change a filename (or delete it) using ssh before you can reinstall it with the Software release of the UTM software.

You do need this Software release for your home license, but if you don't alter the filename you cannot install this release onto an appliance.

The file you need to rename is etc/asg (if i recall correctly).

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Hi Igor,

You won't have any phone support on a home license. Your only means of support will be this forum..... And yes, it is possible to convert a SG105 to a Home license, but it will require you to first basic setup the SG105 and then change a filename (or delete it) using ssh before you can reinstall it with the Software release of the UTM software.

You do need this Software release for your home license, but if you don't alter the filename you cannot install this release onto an appliance.

The file you need to rename is etc/asg (if i recall correctly).

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

Children
No Data