This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Zotac CI323NANO-U N3150 & Gb Fiber Internet?

I've had my Home UTM on the Zotac with the N3150 Quad Core CPU (8Gb RAM & 250Gb SSD) running since last summer, and all has been relatively well.

But, I'm about to make the cord cutting leap and switch from TwC 55Mbps max cable to AT&T Fiber, possibly the 1Gb option, but maybe initially the 300Mbps, and likely go with something like PlayStation Vue.  Currently my UTM is nowhere near maxed out, 10% avg max CPU, but am wondering if it will be able to keep up with a fiber connection.

Anyone out there upgraded their Internet connection and/or used a similar setup with a Gb pipe?

Appreciate any insights.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • William Warren is one of the resident hardware gurus.  You will want to read CPU recommendations - more Cores or more GHz.

It will take a much faster processor to be able to fill a 300Mbps pipe.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • With the TWC 55Mbps cable connection, I rarely am consistently over 5% CPU.

You're saying a 300Mbps would max it out? I'll check out CPU recommendations further, but just based on my current utilization, I'd think it would handle it OK.

• I meant to include the following in my post above.

Try a google on

site:community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f snort william single

Restrict the search to the last year.  There will be 8 results and you will want to read several of them.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks, reading.

I'm OK with disabling IPS at this time. I'm doing other blocking, and I know it is a trade-off, but I cannot at this time replace everything in my configuration (I'm going through a whole rebuilding of my Internet connection/Wifi/DVR& streaming devices/antenna/etc!)...so hoping I can at least get bye for awhile with IPS disabled, but most other things enabled to still provide decent security compared to a standard consumer level router.

I'm probably going the 300/300 option to start as well.

• Thanks Bob.

This thread helped the most: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/general-discussion/83838/cpu-recommendations---more-cores-or-more-ghz

If I understand it all correctly, I should be OK for the time being with the Zotac, at least for the 300/300 fiber connection.

I will turn off IPS initially (or at least exclude the streaming devices perhaps), and since the Zotac is a quad core @1.6Ghz, and hopefully it will handle the limited usage my family will be throwing at it over the fiber.  3 users for now, one being 8 yrs old, 2 smartphones, some light duty VoIP, work from home VPN, and one TV with most likely Playstation Vue....not much else then that going on right now.

Once I make the change, will monitor and report back how it is doing.

• Just wanted to close the loop on this and let people know that the Zotac is handling the AT&T 300Mbps fiber connection with relative ease at this time.  Once install was completed, a direct connect to the AT&T router was reading 372/371mbps with 1ms ping time (below).  I started out with IPS disabled, and speed tests were solid through the Zotac, there was no issue streaming, browsing, etc. I then tried turning IPS, and the only real impact was the ping went from 1ms to about 3ms. The biggest CPU spike I have seen on the UTM is 25%, but it is averaging 10%, and RAM is averaging 25% consistently.  At this time I still have IPS enabled with no noticeable ill effects.

My setup is:

AT&T router DMZ Plus Mode/IP Passthrough >> Zotac UTM >> Netgear Managed Switch >> Netgear WNDR4500v2 in AP mode (upgrading this to an AC router next week)

An Amazon Fire Box is hard wired to the switch and streaming is very quick and snappy.

At this time I don't see any need to upgrade to the 1Gb speeds...

• i use a Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.4 GHz and getting almost 400 mbit with ips active.

950 mbit without ips.