This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM9 is not starting PPPoE discovery - PPPoE plugin is not loading

Hi community,

in the past I used a double NATed internet connection because I was not able to make the UTM 9 using PPPoE.

Now I changed the ISP and I need to use VoIP and I want to establish a site-to-site VPN connection. In order to do so without much of trouble I need to get rid of the first NAT in order to make the UTM knowing it's own public (dynamic) IP address. Anyway a double NATed internet connection is not very clever in my opinion.

Actually I have the following network installed:

WAN -> Draytek ADSL router (using NAT) -> UTM9 (using NAT) -> LAN

Now I changed the Draytek to modem operation mode and changed the UTM WAN interface type from ethernet to DSL (PPPoE).

Before telling you much about the UTM configuration I made I have to say that I already tested the same configuration with another UTM9 (exactly the same hardware and configuration) with the same ISP and it's working without any errors.

But for some reason, my UTM is not doing any PPPoE discovery and I don't know what to do now. Looking at the PPPoE log it shows only this:

2017:01:27-16:43:07 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds
2017:01:27-16:43:12 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds
2017:01:27-16:43:17 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds
2017:01:27-16:43:22 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds
2017:01:27-16:43:27 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds
2017:01:27-16:43:32 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds
2017:01:27-16:43:37 rsflash-office pppoe-sh: DSL connection time shorter than 60 seconds (0 sec): Error? - wait 5 seconds

There is not one line in the log files (archived too) showing me that the UTM is trying to start a pppoe discovery or even that it's loading the PPPoE plugin and I'm wondering if this is a bug.

I also tried a restart of the interface and the whole system but without success.

Before re-installing the whole system again I hope that anybody here can help me with this issue. Maybe this is a known issue but I didn't found any similar question in this forum. Much about pppoe issues but always the UTM at least sent a PADI package. Not so on mine...

Kind regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Raphael, and welcome to the UTM Community!

If defining a new Interface and switching the NIC to the new one doesn't do it, I'd suspect the NIC.  You might try #7.7 in Rulz before replacing it.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob and thank you very much for your welcoming and your information.

I checked your rulz and did the following steps (again):

• QoS disabled
    • TCP window scaling enabled
    • MTU of 1492 verified by ISP (and working when using Draytek Vigor 130 as a router)
    • Changed all affected cables
    • Tested another ADSL2+ modem
    • Tested various speeds and duplex

But the pppoe plugin is still not loading. On the dashboard the status and link indicator turned to"off" when changing the interface type from ethernet to DSL (pppoe).

I'm feeling like shoot the UTM device :-( Still no idea what to do and I still don't want to re-install the UTM producing a longer downtime.

But anyway, thanks for your reply and the hint to your rulz.

• Raphael, if you don't have one of the less-desirable NICs identified in #7, I would try downloading a new copy of the ISO and burning a CD at no faster than 4x.  If re-installing with that doesn't solve the problem, I'm stumped!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi BAlfson and thanks again for your help.

Re-installing the UTM was finally (after a lot of voodoo) the solution. After that, PPPOE plugin was loading and the connection was established instantly.