This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

50% CPU Utilization, 32-bit Install?

Hello, My CPU is almost always running at around 50+%. kswapd0 appears to be the culprit. That caused me to take a closer look at the RAM display on my Dashboard: 56% of 3.6 GB used. Experience tells me that 3.6 GB sounds like a 32-bit system with 4 GB or RAM. So back to the command line I go:

Hillary:/home/login # uname -a
Linux Hillary 3.12.48-0.218133626.g829be90.rb1-smp64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 14 11:38:22 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

x86_64 is 64-bit right??

Hillary:/home/login # file /sbin/init
/sbin/init: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV)...

So is this a 32-bit install or a 64-bit install?

Astaro v9.356-3 running as a XenServer guest with two vCPUs: 1 socket with 2 cores per socket

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

Like for the name of UTM (y)

UTM has a 64 bit kernel. Execute, uname -m

x86_64 = 64 bit kernel

i686 = 32 bit kernel

Generally, 64 bit system will utilize approximately 4 GB of RAM hence 56% CPU is a actually normal at your end.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thank you. I verified that my kernel is 64 bits. Does it follow then that if I increase the system memory that the CPU utilization will decrease?

I should mention that the kswapd0 process appears to be consuming most of the CPU's cycles and there are extended periods of time, up to 9.5 hours, where the CPU averages around 3% - which is my goal.

Here's a screen grab of processes sorted by SWAP:

Am I reading this correctly that the postgress process has 7GB of memory swapped to the hard disk? If so, is this normal and expected?

• Hi, 

Yes, system memory must be increased. Reduce the retention period configured in the report settings, this can help the memory issue with postgres. 

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• The other solution would be to reduce the length of time reporting data is kept.  Also, consider reducing the detail configured in 'Web Protection Reporting Detail Level'.  Memory is cheap though.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I ended up increasing my memory to 6 GB and my average CPU utilization is now 5%. The delta is insane:

Is this a bug? If adding 2 additional GB of memory was the solution, why wasn't 100% of my previous 4GB being utilized:

• Because you never get to use the full memory installed because of Intel's very poor design on the original CPU. They put the IO addressing in the memory space.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Because you never get to use the full memory installed because of Intel's very poor design on the original CPU. They put the IO addressing in the memory space.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Children
No Data