This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Successful UTM install with HDMI, fix for stall at 66% on Hardware Detection

Bottom line up front:  I was able to get around the installer hanging at 66% on the "Hardware Detection" screen by doing the following:

1. Press [Alt]+[F2] to bring up the console window.
  2. At the command prompt type cd /usr/lib and press [Enter].
  3. At the next prompt type bootstrap --install and press [Enter].  Apparently, this starts a second instance of the installer that does not get stuck on the "Hardware Detection" screen.

I'll try to keep this concise.  I've been trying to get UTM installed on a mini PC/appliance (Qotom Q310G4, links here and here) for about two weeks.  The only video output is an HDMI port (not even a VGA header on the motherboard - I checked).  I spent an inordinate amount of time dumpster diving for information here and with Google on the hardware detection problem.  Although the specific hardware causing the hang was never really identified (HDMI, HPET, etc.) it seemed that using a VGA output fixed it.  That wasn't an option for me.  I also changed a ton of BIOS settings to no avail.

I tried installing UTM on the SSD in a host PC, re-installed it in the mini PC, and then reconfigured the NICs using cc, but I could never get the reconfigured NIC settings to be persistent through a reboot (not even after using cc with system_factory_reset).

My final attempt before moving on to OPNsense was to try a DisplayLink compatible USB-to-VGA adapter (I discovered DisplayLink drivers are part of some Linux kernels).  Somehow in reasearching that I stumbled over this thread where Erik (toengi) used something simlar to the steps above to get past the hardware detection stall.  I tried it on a lark, and it worked!

Other notes:  I never could get the Q310G4 to boot the installer off a USB thumb drive (tried Rufus, etc.), so I had to use a USB CD/DVD drive with the installer on a DVD.  Also, make sure you're using the .ISO with the ssi prefix instead of the asg prefix for install (DAMHIKT).

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
No Data