This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot install from bootable USB

I have installed Astaro/UTM many times from a CD-ROM with absolutely no issues.

The computer I am trying to install the UTM on now does not have a CD-ROM, so I made a bootable USB drive (using both UltraISO and PowerISO). The system boots off the USB and the installation starts, but an error occurs when it gets to "Formatting TEMP Partition", stating that "Install.tar wasn't found on the installation media".

The specified file is definitely there, but the installation cannot locate/access it.

It seems strange to me that this has happened (for both the 9.355-1.1 and 9.401-11.1) given that installations from USB drives is very common place these days.

Is there a simple solution to this problem?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • After a bit of Googling and searching on this forum I did actually find some solutions for installing off a bootable USB.

It surprises me that this is not possible by default, but having a solution means that it is not a big issue.
    For anyone else that comes across this issue, this is how I got it to work.

• Create a bootable USB drive with the UTM iso
    • If necessary, modify the computer BIOS to allow booting from a USB device, or when the computer boots, enter the boot menu.
    • At the UTM boot screen, press <Enter>
    • When at the Start screen, press ALT-F2 to access the console.
    • Type sfdisk -l (that's a lower case L) to display a list of boot devices.
      Identify your USB drive in the list. It will be /dev/sdbX, where "X" is the device number.
    • Type /dev/sdbX /install   (where X is the number of the USB device)
    • Press ALT-F1 to exit the console and return to the installation wizard.
    • Continue with the UTM installation
  • The last command should be mount /dev/sdbX /install  (where X is the number of the USB device)

Reply Children
No Data