This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot install from bootable USB

I have installed Astaro/UTM many times from a CD-ROM with absolutely no issues.

The computer I am trying to install the UTM on now does not have a CD-ROM, so I made a bootable USB drive (using both UltraISO and PowerISO). The system boots off the USB and the installation starts, but an error occurs when it gets to "Formatting TEMP Partition", stating that "Install.tar wasn't found on the installation media".

The specified file is definitely there, but the installation cannot locate/access it.

It seems strange to me that this has happened (for both the 9.355-1.1 and 9.401-11.1) given that installations from USB drives is very common place these days.

Is there a simple solution to this problem?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...

• After a bit of Googling and searching on this forum I did actually find some solutions for installing off a bootable USB.

It surprises me that this is not possible by default, but having a solution means that it is not a big issue.
    For anyone else that comes across this issue, this is how I got it to work.

• Create a bootable USB drive with the UTM iso
    • If necessary, modify the computer BIOS to allow booting from a USB device, or when the computer boots, enter the boot menu.
    • At the UTM boot screen, press <Enter>
    • When at the Start screen, press ALT-F2 to access the console.
    • Type sfdisk -l (that's a lower case L) to display a list of boot devices.
      Identify your USB drive in the list. It will be /dev/sdbX, where "X" is the device number.
    • Type /dev/sdbX /install   (where X is the number of the USB device)
    • Press ALT-F1 to exit the console and return to the installation wizard.
    • Continue with the UTM installation
  • Also got this to work on OSX

Using UnetBootin

ALso copy 'd over install en de rpm diur again
    Looked like this made it work

• I find that only the additional console command: "cd /install" gets past the install.tar error.

Assumed the /install switch in the mount command does that - or not? (ps: 'nix newbie here)

Did ls to confirm. Tried this multiple times with/without cd/install. Been trying for years now to get the stick install to work. At last!

Thoughts anyone? 

• The last command should be mount /dev/sdbX /install  (where X is the number of the USB device)

• I tried to press the Alt-F2, but nothing happens. After pressing the Alt-F2, also the other keys in the UI do not respond anymore and the system starts to beep.

I have a PC Engines APU2D2(3xi211AT LAN / AMD GX-412TC CPU / 2 GB DRAM), connected the USB stick which has the image and connected a keyboard. The serial connection is running 38400,N,8,1 to see the output because this is a headless machine.