This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Home 9.3 on an Intel NUC (6th gen)

I'm attempting to install Sophos UTM 9.355 from a flash drive on to an Intel NUC[1] with a gigabit USB dongle [2] for the second interface. On the "Hardware Detection" step of the installer, with the error "No network card was found." The alt+f4 log screen shows the following:

bootstrap: Detecting network devices
bootstrap: interface (Intel Ethernet controller) ignored because it lacks a name (buggy hw?)
bootstrap: ERROR: No network card was found.

It seems to skip the USB dongle altogether. I know it works in a similar machine after installation, and it does show up as an interface when running "ifconfig -a". The onboard NIC is an I219-V, which doesn't seem to be supported in sophos. I was hoping to compile a driver for it after getting this installed. The USB dongle should provide the required admin interface to get me going though, right? 

Thanks!

[1] www.intel.com/.../nuc-kit-nuc6i3syh.html
[2] www.j5create.com/.../jue130.html

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I never found a way to trick the installer into letting me through, but I did figure out a different way of getting things working ...

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart or those with no linux experience, but definitely works!

TL;DR: install sophos on a known working box, copy the disk, update the module with my updated/compiled version (v3.3.3)

1. Install Sophos UTM Home Edition on any computer supported by the installer (VM would be fine, see other posts in the forum)
    2. Clone the disk to the one in the Intel NUC using clonezilla or similar. 
    3. Update the e1000e kernel module:
      1. Download the e1000e kernel module, compiled for the running sophos instance
        https://mega.nz/#!LJozxSgb!Q_lM4F4asT_IPbQMyZ23U7Qx6N5ndSP5T1NgzczUEXY
      2. Copy the module to the correct folder (/lib/modules/3.12.48-*/extra)
      3. Insert the module
        sudo modprobe e1000e
    4. Add e1000e to the list of auto inserted modules in /etc/modules
    5. Give yourself an ip address:
      sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.11.1
    6. You should now be able to login via the webadmin page (https://192.168.11.1:4444) and configure your interfaces properly. Make sure you assign each of your interfaces has a device ("hardware") assigned to it.
    7. Reboot. You should be good to go!

On a related note, I'm not sure why the installer blocks you from completing the installation. It would be nice if it was just a warning like the "you only have one device" dialog, since you have the ability to add new interfaces or modules after the fact. I'll follow this up with a post on how to compile modules for your Sophos UTM Home Edition OS, since that was the magic that made all this work.

Sophos, thanks for a fantastic piece of software! For the first time I get to utlize all 175Mbs of my home internet connection, and feel safe doing it =)

• I am up and running on a Gigabyte BRIX GB-BSi3HAL-6100 ( it has 2 gigabit built-in NICs ) !

Reply Children
No Data