This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intel I219 support

The Intel I219 chipset came out in Q2 of 2015. Will support for this chipset be added to UTM9 or XG anytime soon? I have an M-ITX board with one Realtek NIC and one Intel NIC, however since the I219 chipset is not supported only the Realtek NIC is recognized. 

Is there somewhere else to post this to gain more recognition? I have seen several post regarding this chipset but no resolution or response yet.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I may be wrong but I think the driver have to be integrated in the linux kernel? If yes then it may take some time, until UTM or SF-OS is running on a kernel which is new enough to support the I219.
    I ran with my home appliance into the same problem and some research showed that Intel classified the I219 as a consumer NIC. Therefore I don't think Sophos will try to add support for the I219. Only option would be to wait for a kernel which got support for the I219.

But that's only my opinion - I (hope I) could be wrong.

Edit says: at my home appliance I use now an old Intel dual port NIC. Got it cheap from ebay, about $20.

• The I219 NIC is supported fully since kernel 3.19.x. In some cases it is possible to use drivers to get it working even in 2.6 kernels. Here is more info:

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/E1000E.html

It would be really great if Sophos could finally say something about this (there are other threads here and in XG community about this already). The I219 is very common these days, it's basically on every board that has Intels x170 chipset (for Skylake). 

It is very easy to get Linux to recognize the NIC. 

• Do I have to do something special for the UTM to recognize the i219 NIC?

At home my mainboard have onboard i219 and i211. The i211 is working fine but the i219 is still not recognized after upgrading to 9.407-2. A reboot didn't help.

• nopers you just have to wait for the kernel in XG to have the proper intel drivers in it...stick with i211 for now the i219 might show up...but the appliances use i211 which is why they have support now.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• If those uber-secretive Sophos engineer would actually put this in the release notes, one could wait. Because we would be notified. The only option to find out right now would be to install each and every release when it comes out, just to find out the kernel still wasn't updated. You know what? I switched to Fortinet. They deserve my money.

• That's your decision.  Sophos is under no obligation to support hardware that they do not put out.  Any other hardware support is just by happenstance.  ALL security vendors do this.  they all use a reduced driver set that is tuned for their products.  it is good security...and good business.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• William Warren said:

That's your decision.  Sophos is under no obligation to support hardware that they do not put out.  Any other hardware support is just by happenstance.  ALL security vendors do this.  they all use a reduced driver set that is tuned for their products.  it is good security...and good business.

I don't dispute that and I agree. My criticism is not about them not putting in the drivers that I need, my criticism is about the fact that they don't put any hardware information in the release notes. That's just not acceptable *at all*, given the circumstance that they are selling XG not just on an appliance but also as a software to run on baremetal. Keeping customers in the dark is completely and utterly unprofessional. 

•  
    Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • But didn't you say the nic is supported in UTM 9.4? Because I'm using UTM 9.4 and not the XG.

And no, I don't need the i219 NIC but it would be nice for playing around with.

• In another thread about this NIC (there are several) somebody mentioned he had it working since UTM 9.4. I can't confirm that, not running UTM.

• The I219 NIC is supported fully since kernel 3.19.x. In some cases it is possible to use drivers to get it working even in 2.6 kernels. Here is more info:

I don't think this is the case. I've installed UTM 9.509-3.1 and it does not detect the I219 NIC.

If I'm wrong I'd be tremendously grateful if you could detail what steps you took in order to get it to work.

Thanks

W.

• Adrian, he's not running UTM.  V9.509 is on version 3.12:

secure:/root # cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.12.74-0.283050698.g2cded84.rb2-smp64 (abuild@axgbuild) (gcc version 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP Mon Feb 5 12:05:55 UTC 2018

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Adrian, he's not running UTM.  V9.509 is on version 3.12:

secure:/root # cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.12.74-0.283050698.g2cded84.rb2-smp64 (abuild@axgbuild) (gcc version 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP Mon Feb 5 12:05:55 UTC 2018

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data