This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

NIC Interfaces not seen on wizard

Hello.

I took the plunge today to try and get Sophos UTM up and running. However I have come unstuck pretty quickly.

The hardware is a Dell optiplex with addition nic card installed. The install has gone fine and I can get in and start setting up via the wizard. 

However when it comes to the internet side on the wizard when I click the interface pop up, it does nothing, consequently the only button I can click is to set it up later.

Now back in the main gui I add a new interface, but I am not sure what to do here. I have virgin media as a provider and have the router in modem only mode which its been for years. I therefore set the new interface up as an ethernet and that the IP will be dynamic.

On the main page it shows both the wan and lan side as up, but I have no internet. After some more head scratching I realised to set a default gateway, I guessed on lan side which I did, but still no internet.

I tried a reset and running the wizard again, but again no interfaces are shown for the initial set up, but show up fine once into the main gui, I can only assume that if they showed at the wizard point, it would make some settings to get it all going.

So anyhow, any advice here? I am trying to come from PFSense which frankly was far easier. i.e. I plugged my modem into one of the nics and boom I had internet.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Well, I hate to loose but I cannot get internet. This bug at the wizard stage is making it hard to proceed. I looked around the web and found a comprehensive install guide, but on this guide there was 'wan' and 'lan' choices for interfaces which simply is not available to me, so perhaps an older version or something.

What checks do I need in place, should the default gateway be on the wan? How does the UTM know its a wan when the interface is ethernet and not pppoe etc?
  • Looking further I found this article

www.sophos.com/.../118899.aspx

However in the interface settings there is no options for 'cable modem dhcp' (which mine is)

Is this information out of date?

All I have is:
    3G/UMTS
    DSL (PPPoE)
    DSL (PPPOA)
    Ethernet
    Ethernet bridge
    Ethernet VLAN
    Modem PPP
  • When using a cable modem with DHCP, select "Ethernet" as the WAN interface type and check the boxes for "Dynamic IP" and IPv4 default GW (and IPv6 default GW, if you are using IPV6 as well).

Will

--------------------
    Sophos UTM / Sophos XG Firewall home user

Private: Virtual UTM 9.3, ESXi 6.0: 2 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 120GB vHDD, 3 vNICs

Private: Virtual Sophos XG Firewall, ESXi 6.0: 1 vCPU, 4vCores, 6GB RAM, 80/4 GB vHDD, 3 vNICs

ESXi 6.0 Host: SuperMicro C7Z97-OCE, Core I5-4690 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM, NICS: I217-V, I210, I340-T4

• Thanks for this, but by 'WAN' type do you meant that I just know that it is, because there is no pop up or anything else to determine that its the WAN, this is my concern.

When I have ever set up routers either out the box or homebrew, the default gateway is the box, to my mind if I am putting the default gateway on the WAN then is the firewall not being ignored? Or do I specify that the gateway is say 192.168.0.1 on the wan interface?

Its a bit confusing, I rather wish the wizard just worked.
  • Maybe I am misunderstanding where you are in the configuration process. Are you asking about how to set up the WAN port when going through the setup wizard, or after the initial setup is completed and you are just working through the GUI. Assuming that you are working through the GUI:

1. Select: Interfaces & Routing / Interfaces, you will see a list of interfaces.

On my UTM device, one interface is labeled as External (WAN), and the other port is labeled as Internal.

2. To set up the External interface to connect with your cable modem using DHCP, select type as “Ethernet”, and check the boxes for dynamic IP and IPV4 default GW, as I indicated before. Checking the IPv4 Default GW box just means that the IP Address of the WAN port is the default gateway for the router/UTM—not that it is the default gateway for devices on your network.

3. For the Internal interface, type should be Ethernet, and you should not check any boxes for dynamic IP or Default GW

LAN Devices

If, for example, your Internal interface has the address 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

In terms of the default gateway for devices on your network, the default gateway is the internal address of your router/UTM of 192.168.0.1.

Will

--------------------
    Sophos UTM / Sophos XG Firewall home user

Private: Virtual UTM 9.3, ESXi 6.0: 2 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 120GB vHDD, 3 vNICs

Private: Virtual Sophos XG Firewall, ESXi 6.0: 1 vCPU, 4vCores, 6GB RAM, 80/4 GB vHDD, 3 vNICs

ESXi 6.0 Host: SuperMicro C7Z97-OCE, Core I5-4690 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM, NICS: I217-V, I210, I340-T4

• Yea, this is the problem, at the wizard stage there is clearly a bug, the pop up box at the wan page of the wizard (to select the NIC) does not work in any browser. Perhaps Sophos should look into that.

I shall have a try with your suggestions, but must say I find it odd that the external IP on WAN is the default gateway, it feels like I am avoiding the firewall altogether.

• Garett, it sounds like you were almost there before the first post above. I guess you just needed a masquerading rule after you set the default gateway.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi could you expand on this as I genuinly have no idea what you mean?

perhaps an easier question is, what should my WAN side setup say, should this be the default gateway? This connects to a Modem connecting via DHCP to me DSL ISP.

Why does the sophos software not see the nic at the wizard but sees it fine in the main interface?
  • You would check Default Gateway for the interface (WAN) through which traffic has to pass to get to other networks that are not defined on your UTM...the internet.

You are natting traffic, so you need a MASQ rule to readdress traffic going to the internet from non-internet routable private addresses to an internet routable address (WAN). Network Protection > NAT > Masquerading

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I presume therefore that if the wizard worked it would have set this for me because this is getting a little complicated :)