This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

XG-85 Doesn't support UTM 9?

We received a few units to test out at our office and it appears that the XG 85 doesn't support UTM 9? Without a video connection I am unable to actually see what is going on but it appears to get to the install screen and stops. If you press a key on a keyboard it will reboot and try again.

Does the newest release of UTM 9 not support the XG 85? I know it works fine on the XG 125.

I'm just trying to get a good baseline of what is supported.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi All,

XG85 and XG750 do not support UTM at all. Only SG appliances support UTM and can be upgraded to XG. Buy SG appliances in order to support UTM now and XG later on.

I spoke with Sophos Sales today.

Regards.

• The XG85 supports UTM 9.4 I have installed it and its running fine for the last 30 days.

You can get the Beta and try it for free fully licensed for 30 days.

• [:#][:|]

Nick,

did you install UTM 9.4 using the internal eMMC card or using the SATA drive? On previous post, you attached a SATA disk to 85 in order to get it working.

• No I tried a SATA drive on the system but I couldn't get it to recognize the drive as a bootable device.

9.4 installs to the eMMC using like 80% of the storage but works great. Logging and everything has been working without issue.

I only had one hiccup with Bittorrents from my roommate but it looks like the fixed it in a recent update.

I have 300mbps internet and Lan to Wan with basic protection turned on for 5 workstations and everything so far is working great.

EDIT:

Quote from my post 
    " I even attached a SATA HDD to the system (it has a sata port) and was unable to get it to install to that also so its not a storage issue."

As you can see i said it didn't work with the SATA drive.

• You may have gotten it to work, but officially it's not supported. From the Sophos blog post:

"Please note that the SG 85(w) model that was originally anticipated to launch alongside UTM Elevated 9.4 will come later, as the product team is still working on enabling the UTM 9 firmware to run on such a diskless device with performance and functionality that meet our high standards."

It's possible UTM likes to write to the eMMC too often and may wear it out too soon.

• Anything new on this ?

As I get several Problems with the XG 85 (SFOS 16.01.1) I'm looking to use UTM!

Some reasons are:

- Problems on Site-2-Site VPN between XG 85 and SG 105 (9.408-4)

- Problems on Firmwareupdates with SFOS 16.01.2

- Can't access the XG - Admin via WAN - HTTPS (FQDN&IP)

All that was no problem on my first SG... :( or may be i missed some simple thing ?

• What's the latest on this?  I have a 60 gig SSD sitting around I could use to replace the 8 gb emmc if that's an option.  Would like to use one of these at home for UTM testing.

• Horst,

all the issues you have are related to misconfiguration settings.

XG85 was built for XG and then adapted for UTM9.

• Hi Luk,

So there's no problem running utm 9.4+ on the stock 8gb of storage?

• I did not try it but if you read others replies....I am not sure that is officially supported to run UTM9 on XG85.

For me it does not make sense because XG85 is very small box and with no local disk which performs quite well with XG which performs better than UTM9, even if XG lacks of features.

• I did not try it but if you read others replies....I am not sure that is officially supported to run UTM9 on XG85.

For me it does not make sense because XG85 is very small box and with no local disk which performs quite well with XG which performs better than UTM9, even if XG lacks of features.

Children
No Data