This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM on Netgate RCC-VE 2440

Hi, I've finally found a supplier that makes what looks like a decent multi nic systems.
Netgate Linux Systems
I'm lookling at the RCC-VE-2440 for $353.00 USD
Has any-one got any experience building on one of these, or views on the hardware specs, any-one see any issues..

Below is a quick summary of the hardware.
- 2 core Intel Atom C2358 CPU, 1.7 GHz
- Standard Mini-ITX 170x170mm form factor
- 4 GB DDR3L Non ECC Memory on board
- 4GB eMMC flash on board
- 4x RJ-45 1 GbE Intel Ethernet ports, Intel i350 (i354 on-die)
- Blue Anoidized Enclosure with 5 SMA/RP-SMA sized antenna cutouts
- 1 mini-SATA (mSATA) connector
- 1 SATA II connector
- 2x full length mPCIe slots, one with micro-SIM. Also supports half length cards.
- 2x USB 2.0 Host ports
- 1 Mini-USB Serial Console Port
- Reset Pushbutton
- Power/Status/SATA activity LEDs
- Front Panel Header
- Coin cell holder for RTC backup battery
- 12 VDC Power Input Connector (call for ATX availability and MOQ)
- Coreboot boot loader
- AC/DC Auto-Ranging Switching Power Adapter
- Input Voltage: 90 ~ 264 VAC
- Output Voltage: 12 VDC
- Current Output (Max): 4.16A
- Power (Watts): 50W 
- Fanless operation from 0°C to 65°C ambient temperature. 
- FCC, CE Class B 
- RoHS Compliant

I'm thinking for $353 this is a great option for the home user, compact, powerful, and enough ports to allow multi lan setup. In my case, External, Internal, DMZ and Wireless lans.

The only thing I'll add to it is a 250G or 500G msata card

Trevor..

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

Thanks for the updates.

I would be reluctant to recommend a system which does not have a working console; the headless install isn't officially supported and Mario (Trollvottel) has left these forums.

If you can get the serial console working however, that would be much more encouraging.

That said, there are some 2-NIC fanless systems with VGA available for less money, e.g. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zenion-1037-Luefterloser-Mini-PC-mit-Intel-Celeron-1037-60GB-SSD-4GB-HDMI-USB3-/181712686832 (Germany)

Barry
  • Hi;

Yes vga would be great but my main requirement is 4 GbE nic's.

When I first saw the 2440, I thought sounds great, more than enough cpu, plenty ram, an 4 nics. Sounds like it's worth a try..

The console was a bit of a concern at first, (and it was pointed out by several people) especially for the actual install, but when I found the headless install script, and the fact that it worked without a hitch. Well I now have a complete "process" for installing onto any of the Netgate devices that works perfectly. Actually its a great process for installing onto any machine, especially for remote sites, where I can just send "pre-configured" cd, that can be dropped into any UTM hardware, with instructions to connect portX to the current internal lan, and then I can configure remotely after it reboots.

The Sophos docs make mention of using install command line switches like "default vga=normal" I played with variations of this when first trying to install and redirect the output to the console port. Also tried "default console=ttyS1,115200n8"  plus a couple of others, but nothing worked. Hindsite, I should have looked at the init line for the Centos install that was already on the 2440. But at the end of the day as I said I found the headless script and that worked flawlessly. (Acknowledged that in the future it night not work, but at the moment awesome)

A suggestion to Sophos, allow an install switch like the "default vga=normal" that allows output to be redirected to a console, especially in light of how many devices are now appearing on the market configured like the Netgates.
    These tiny little "devices" run as well as a full blown dedicated pc, and cost a fraction of the price. 

Anyhow, at the end of the day, the only "valid" concern people raised (the console) turned out to NOT be a show stopper. The other concerns about maybee being under-spec'd were way off. For the environment I'm using this in, home use with home-user-licence, it's absolutely perfect.
  • Hi;

Yes vga would be great but my main requirement is 4 GbE nic's.

When I first saw the 2440, I thought sounds great, more than enough cpu, plenty ram, an 4 nics. Sounds like it's worth a try..

The console was a bit of a concern at first, (and it was pointed out by several people) especially for the actual install, but when I found the headless install script, and the fact that it worked without a hitch. Well I now have a complete "process" for installing onto any of the Netgate devices that works perfectly. Actually its a great process for installing onto any machine, especially for remote sites, where I can just send "pre-configured" cd, that can be dropped into any UTM hardware, with instructions to connect portX to the current internal lan, and then I can configure remotely after it reboots.

The Sophos docs make mention of using install command line switches like "default vga=normal" I played with variations of this when first trying to install and redirect the output to the console port. Also tried "default console=ttyS1,115200n8"  plus a couple of others, but nothing worked. Hindsite, I should have looked at the init line for the Centos install that was already on the 2440. But at the end of the day as I said I found the headless script and that worked flawlessly. (Acknowledged that in the future it night not work, but at the moment awesome)

A suggestion to Sophos, allow an install switch like the "default vga=normal" that allows output to be redirected to a console, especially in light of how many devices are now appearing on the market configured like the Netgates.
    These tiny little "devices" run as well as a full blown dedicated pc, and cost a fraction of the price. 

Anyhow, at the end of the day, the only "valid" concern people raised (the console) turned out to NOT be a show stopper. The other concerns about maybee being under-spec'd were way off. For the environment I'm using this in, home use with home-user-licence, it's absolutely perfect.
Children
No Data