This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM on Netgate RCC-VE 2440

Hi, I've finally found a supplier that makes what looks like a decent multi nic systems.
Netgate Linux Systems
I'm lookling at the RCC-VE-2440 for $353.00 USD
Has any-one got any experience building on one of these, or views on the hardware specs, any-one see any issues..

Below is a quick summary of the hardware.
- 2 core Intel Atom C2358 CPU, 1.7 GHz
- Standard Mini-ITX 170x170mm form factor
- 4 GB DDR3L Non ECC Memory on board
- 4GB eMMC flash on board
- 4x RJ-45 1 GbE Intel Ethernet ports, Intel i350 (i354 on-die)
- Blue Anoidized Enclosure with 5 SMA/RP-SMA sized antenna cutouts
- 1 mini-SATA (mSATA) connector
- 1 SATA II connector
- 2x full length mPCIe slots, one with micro-SIM. Also supports half length cards.
- 2x USB 2.0 Host ports
- 1 Mini-USB Serial Console Port
- Reset Pushbutton
- Power/Status/SATA activity LEDs
- Front Panel Header
- Coin cell holder for RTC backup battery
- 12 VDC Power Input Connector (call for ATX availability and MOQ)
- Coreboot boot loader
- AC/DC Auto-Ranging Switching Power Adapter
- Input Voltage: 90 ~ 264 VAC
- Output Voltage: 12 VDC
- Current Output (Max): 4.16A
- Power (Watts): 50W 
- Fanless operation from 0°C to 65°C ambient temperature. 
- FCC, CE Class B 
- RoHS Compliant

I'm thinking for $353 this is a great option for the home user, compact, powerful, and enough ports to allow multi lan setup. In my case, External, Internal, DMZ and Wireless lans.

The only thing I'll add to it is a 250G or 500G msata card

Trevor..

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

You will need to get the serial console working before installing the UTM; hopefully the BIOS has a redirection option.

I'm also still worried about the onboard flash confusing the installer.

Let us know how it goes; the price isn't bad considering the # of NICs and being fanless.

If you can't get it to install, save the 'install.txt' file from the installer and upload it here.

Barry
  • VERDICT TIME
    The Netgate RCC-VE 2440 arrived yesterday, I spent last night playing with it, and setting it up, today it went live here at home, and so far it's awesome. 

The Netgate is idling along at between 5-20% CPU so far on a normal nights use  (mostly 5%), with the occasional spike up to 60% CPU. In other words, it can easily handle the home environment with a dozen plus devices. I've got all 4 nic's in use, WAN, DMZ, LAN and Wireless, with 15 ip's currently using the system.

If I was setting this up for a small office, I'd probably use the same device, perhaps look at the RCC-VE-4860 with 4 core Intel Atom and 8G RAM $535 or for the larger business the RCC-VE 8860 System 8 core Intel Atom and 8G RAM $781. 
    Netgate Linux Systems 

The installation process can be hard or easy, (normally very easy) depending on what you try to do. ie: I stuffed around a lot trying to get the console port to work, and to install the UTM software the way I've always done it. ie: graphically . Once I found the Headless Install script, the install then became a very, very easy process. 
    A huge, and I mean HUGE kudo to trollvottel for his Headless Install script (asg2asi.sh)
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/28778

Knowing what I now know, and using the steps in the my pdf, I could go from opening the box, to a configured firewall in an hour. 

I've always hated how I had to have a full sized pc sitting there doing firewall duties. I've looked at many small devices over the years, but none of them have had either enough nic's, or they only had 10/100 nics. To finally find a small device with multiple GbE Intel nic's, a good cpu and 4gig RAM for only $353 is awesome. 

This link takes you to my website, where you can download the pdf on my install process. (scroll to bottom of page)
    T-Spoon Software - T-Spoon Software

So to summarise.  AWESOME. 
    and highly recommended for the home user / small business.
  • VERDICT TIME
    The Netgate RCC-VE 2440 arrived yesterday, I spent last night playing with it, and setting it up, today it went live here at home, and so far it's awesome. 

The Netgate is idling along at between 5-20% CPU so far on a normal nights use  (mostly 5%), with the occasional spike up to 60% CPU. In other words, it can easily handle the home environment with a dozen plus devices. I've got all 4 nic's in use, WAN, DMZ, LAN and Wireless, with 15 ip's currently using the system.

If I was setting this up for a small office, I'd probably use the same device, perhaps look at the RCC-VE-4860 with 4 core Intel Atom and 8G RAM $535 or for the larger business the RCC-VE 8860 System 8 core Intel Atom and 8G RAM $781. 
    Netgate Linux Systems 

The installation process can be hard or easy, (normally very easy) depending on what you try to do. ie: I stuffed around a lot trying to get the console port to work, and to install the UTM software the way I've always done it. ie: graphically . Once I found the Headless Install script, the install then became a very, very easy process. 
    A huge, and I mean HUGE kudo to trollvottel for his Headless Install script (asg2asi.sh)
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/28778

Knowing what I now know, and using the steps in the my pdf, I could go from opening the box, to a configured firewall in an hour. 

I've always hated how I had to have a full sized pc sitting there doing firewall duties. I've looked at many small devices over the years, but none of them have had either enough nic's, or they only had 10/100 nics. To finally find a small device with multiple GbE Intel nic's, a good cpu and 4gig RAM for only $353 is awesome. 

This link takes you to my website, where you can download the pdf on my install process. (scroll to bottom of page)
    T-Spoon Software - T-Spoon Software

So to summarise.  AWESOME. 
    and highly recommended for the home user / small business.
Children
No Data