This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM on Netgate RCC-VE 2440

Hi, I've finally found a supplier that makes what looks like a decent multi nic systems.
Netgate Linux Systems
I'm lookling at the RCC-VE-2440 for $353.00 USD
Has any-one got any experience building on one of these, or views on the hardware specs, any-one see any issues..

Below is a quick summary of the hardware.
- 2 core Intel Atom C2358 CPU, 1.7 GHz
- Standard Mini-ITX 170x170mm form factor
- 4 GB DDR3L Non ECC Memory on board
- 4GB eMMC flash on board
- 4x RJ-45 1 GbE Intel Ethernet ports, Intel i350 (i354 on-die)
- Blue Anoidized Enclosure with 5 SMA/RP-SMA sized antenna cutouts
- 1 mini-SATA (mSATA) connector
- 1 SATA II connector
- 2x full length mPCIe slots, one with micro-SIM. Also supports half length cards.
- 2x USB 2.0 Host ports
- 1 Mini-USB Serial Console Port
- Reset Pushbutton
- Power/Status/SATA activity LEDs
- Front Panel Header
- Coin cell holder for RTC backup battery
- 12 VDC Power Input Connector (call for ATX availability and MOQ)
- Coreboot boot loader
- AC/DC Auto-Ranging Switching Power Adapter
- Input Voltage: 90 ~ 264 VAC
- Output Voltage: 12 VDC
- Current Output (Max): 4.16A
- Power (Watts): 50W 
- Fanless operation from 0°C to 65°C ambient temperature. 
- FCC, CE Class B 
- RoHS Compliant

I'm thinking for $353 this is a great option for the home user, compact, powerful, and enough ports to allow multi lan setup. In my case, External, Internal, DMZ and Wireless lans.

The only thing I'll add to it is a 250G or 500G msata card

Trevor..

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, that looks pretty attractive assuming below a 100mbps Internet connection.

However,

1. I would ask them if the "4 GB of onboard eMMC flash memory" can be disabled or removed; it may interfere with the UTM installer

2. 4GB RAM; is it upgradeable?

Barry
  • Hi, that looks pretty attractive assuming below a 100mbps Internet connection.

However,

1. I would ask them if the "4 GB of onboard eMMC flash memory" can be disabled or removed; it may interfere with the UTM installer

2. 4GB RAM; is it upgradeable?

Barry
Children
  • The ram is onbaord, and not upgradeable. but they do have "bigger" devices, that have bigger CPU and more RAM, plus extra ports.

I ordered the Netgate RCC-VE 2440 yesterday, and I intend to document and
    upload the process on getting the latest UTM software onto it. I'm not expecting too many issues, time will tell.

To be honest, I'm expecting this to be a pretty painless process, and end up with a pretty capable device, for the home user. (This will also give me a fair idea on their bigger device capabilities. Netgate Linux Systems )