This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware Recommendation for Sophos UTM

Hello,

I was thinking of installing the latest version of Sophos UTM on the following hardware:

• AMD A10 Micro-6700T  (1.2GHz, boost up to 2.2GHz) (64-bit quad core)
  • 8GB DDR3-1333
  • 32GB Storage
  • Dual Intel I211 GbE controller

I have a 150Mbps Down & 50Mbps Up internet connection.
There will be about 20 devices on the internal LAN.

Will this hardware spec be enough to handle my internet connection and all the internal LAN traffic?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

I was thinking of installing the latest version of Sophos UTM on the following hardware:

• 8GB DDR3-1333
    • 32GB Storage

Will this hardware spec be enough to handle my internet connection and all the internal LAN traffic?

amd for utm is not a good idea.  they have a serious physical design flaw that i have covered previously.  For what you are looking to do i would go with a core I-3 3.0 ghz or faster.  I would not recommend a core i-5 at all with your light load.

OR

Run a core i-5 3.0 ghz with more than 8 gigs of ram.  I would then dedicate 8-12 gigs of ram to the UTM vm.  Setup the cpu allocation as 3 vcpu with 100 percent minimum and 100 percent maximum.  Increase storage to 80 gigs or more in the process.  if you run windows 7 use hyper-v 2008.  If you run win 8 run hyper-v 2012.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hello,

• 8GB DDR3-1333
    • 32GB Storage

amd for utm is not a good idea.  they have a serious physical design flaw that i have covered previously.  For what you are looking to do i would go with a core I-3 3.0 ghz or faster.  I would not recommend a core i-5 at all with your light load.

OR

Run a core i-5 3.0 ghz with more than 8 gigs of ram.  I would then dedicate 8-12 gigs of ram to the UTM vm.  Setup the cpu allocation as 3 vcpu with 100 percent minimum and 100 percent maximum.  Increase storage to 80 gigs or more in the process.  if you run windows 7 use hyper-v 2008.  If you run win 8 run hyper-v 2012.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

Children
No Data