This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware recommendations for Home license - exaggerated?

Hi,

The thing is, I have been going through some of the threads here and elsewhere and it seems that if one really wants to use what Sophos UTM can offer, people recommend beefy hardware, nothing short of an Core i3 to run the system on. I wonder why this is. A quick check of Sophos' own offers indicates, an up to date Atom or BayTrail should do just fine.  For example: 

• SG105 --> Intel Atom E3826 1.46GHz | 2GB RAM
  • SG135 --> Rangeley C2558 2.4GHz | 6GB RAM
  • SG210 --> Celeron 2.7GHz | 8GB RAM
  • SG 310 --> Core i3 3.5GHz | 12GB RAM

when I look at what throughput Sophos rates these babies at (including VPN, IPS, all >>100Mbit/s) I can't fathom how even a PowerUser at home would have the need to get beefier hardware to run this. 
I didn't think I'd open a new thread since there is tons on home user hardware already but the fact that so many posts claim one needs an Intel core i3 processor to run the full feature-set of UTM buffles me a bit. Are Sophos' hardware appliances running on some different version, somehow way more optimized to the hardware, multi-threaded... while the home user edition is not?

I have been running an astaro and now Sophos UTM at home for four years now on an Atom Dualcore N450 with 2GB of RAM. Switching on all the gimmicks slows things down substantially ( WAN & LAN) for a DMZ/guest net and a Cloudserver but VLANs could do the trick too. 
We constantly use IPsec and SSL VPN on our private laptops, phones and tablets. We might upgrade our provider bandwith to 100Mbit/s down and hopefully >10Mbit/s up at some point but I doubt it could get any faster anytime soon.

I'm happy for any tips and recommendations.

My current pick for a new setup (excluding SSD & 8GB RAM) would be:

• Supermicro J1900 board (X10SBA) 2x Intel NIC  180€
  • Supermicro C2558 board (A1SRi-2558F ) 4x Intel NIC - 350€ (cheapest I could find with >2 NICs [:(]

would that not suffice?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents

• Supermicro C2558 board (A1SRi-2558F ) 4x Intel NIC - 350€ (cheapest I could find with >2 NICs

I'm using the SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F w/ 8GB RAM and an Intel S3500 SSD.

I have 125/10Mbps internet with the features you mention turned on.  I only use SSL VPN for occasional remote access.

The CPU usually hovers around 1 -2 %.  RAM usage is at 36%.

The new Atom's are far superior to the previous generations and perform very well as a firewall platform.

• Supermicro C2558 board (A1SRi-2558F ) 4x Intel NIC - 350€ (cheapest I could find with >2 NICs

I'm using the SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F w/ 8GB RAM and an Intel S3500 SSD.

I have 125/10Mbps internet with the features you mention turned on.  I only use SSL VPN for occasional remote access.

The CPU usually hovers around 1 -2 %.  RAM usage is at 36%.

The new Atom's are far superior to the previous generations and perform very well as a firewall platform.
Children
No Data